• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Going from 205/45/17 to 215/45/17

Westwildcat

CEG'er
Anyone have pictures of what there car looked like before and after going from 205/45/17 to 215/45/17? How much change is this going to be for me? Should I stay with 205's??

Why that size? Some people have sized even bigger to 225/45/17 with no rubibing or light inner fender adjustment. The price and selection I find in this size has me wanting to switch to it when I get money saved for summer tires. I looked up a 205/45/17 tire it is about 24.3 in tall and has 855 revolutions per mile. The size 225/45/17 is about 25 in tall and has about 831 revolutions per mile. So little change in height you won't notice it. The little change in revolutions per mile so slight you shouldn't see any change in speedometer readings. The size for 2000 SVT 215/50/16 is 24.5 in tall and about 853 revolutions per mile.

You should be fine with 215s or 225s depending on your wheel offset. I run 215 45 17s on my eap focus wheels with 1/4" spacers and the coilovers lowered 2 or more inches and never rub.

I agree. You should have no issues with 215/45/17. I had those on when I bought my car. I bought 225/45/17 just a few months later and have had no issues with rubbing at all.
Erick --

How about with a 1.5"-2" drop - would 215/45/17 or im even looking at 225/45/17 now, would they rub with that amount of drop?

My contour was probably one of the lower ones. I had 225/45/17 tires on it with no rubbing issues. I believe the wheels were +40mm offset.

-Sam

Yeah, I ran a 225/45/17 with EAPS and GC's bottomed out. Never rubbed. I plan on running a 225 on my 17 x 7.5 ET 40's. Same height.

Without knowing the wheel offset and width, no one will really be able to tell you if they'll rub or not.

You can rub at stock height with the right wheel offset.

I should have stuck with 205/45/17.... I went with 225/45/17 with my new koni struts and h&r springs.... rear tires are rubbing... sucks.. guess wear these tires out and go back to 205/45/17 next time :(

Where is the fender support? I think its like right at the top in the middle thats making it rub

If you had a chance to read my recent posts regarding rear drum to disc conversion, I was unucky enough to discover that the left rear trailing arm was
rubbing against the inner sidewall of the tire.

One other thing to note is that different model tires that say they are the same size can actually be quite different. I went from 215/45/17 Summitomo HTRZII to the same size Dunlop Direzza Star Specs and the Dunlops are noticably wider. I actually rub just a little now when I have a lot of weight in the trunk or when under big cornering loads (like on a sharp, banked switchback on the Dragon...). A little encouragement from a breaker bar moved the fender seam just enough to stop the rubbing. I never had the issue with the HTRZII's for the many years and miles I had them (multiple sets).

Oh yes, I mentioned this very fact erlier in this forum (variations from mfg to mfg as well as model to model of tires) - always check your spec's when dealing with non-standard sizes, before purchasing.

I tuck my tires in my fenders and run a bridgestone re70 potenza and there 225s litterally I tuck most my tire on the front of my car

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

Back