• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Gears a little notchy

starjammir

Hard-core CEG'er
Sometimes going into gears it seems they are a little notchy. Othertimes they are not. I bleed the clutch on sat then sat-sun it felt great. Today (Tues) the trans feels the same it did before. I bleed it again today and it still feels notchy. Any suggestions? Clutch has about 8-9K on it (stage 2) There is about 3/4" of play in the shifter forward and backwards (not side to side). Dunno if that has anything to do with it or not. Also, I cant seem to find a how-to adjust the shift cables. I saw posts on it but didnt see a "how-to"

Last edited:
What fluid do you have in it? Factory fill Mercon combined with the original shift forks don't shift well when cold.

There are fluids that will improve the situation although often the complete cure is installing the newer roller bearing shift forks.

I have the original forks in mine with Ford Honey fluid with 2 oz of Ford friction modifier (makes it slipperier) added, and it shifts like butter. It seldom gets belog freezing where I drive though so I can't report on how well it resolves the problem in cold climates.

I just filled the tranny with royal purple syncromax and blead the clutch with Ford HD brake fluid. Today I noticed (it was 50 out) that when I drive hard on the car it seems to shift better than when I am easy on it. Dunno if that has anything to do with it. Also it does not have the upgraded fork, just the reg one.

Checked the bushings, they are stiff. Something I did notice is that on the shift tower (I believe thats the thing that the cables connect to its black and such) that I can move it side to side (drives to pass) about an inch and can pull it in and out about 1/8 inch. I think the shift cables need to be adjusted? Any other thoughts? BTW this was all done in neutral if it matters.

... Something I did notice is that on the shift tower (I believe thats the thing that the cables connect to its black and such) that I can move it side to side (drives to pass) about an inch and can pull it in and out about 1/8 inch. ....
PM BrApple. Someone previously had an issue with the shifter being loose and BrApple had some pictures and/or video which showed some missing bolts or nuts at the base.

Edit. Here is the thread but the pictures and video do not work anymore.
http://www.contour.org/ubbthreads/s...er=1045416&page=&view=&sb=5&o=&fpart=all&vc=1

Last edited:
Back