• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

future collector cars

baco99

Hard-core CEG'er
i really think production quantity is only a small piece of the puzzle. VW made millions of Beetles and variants, and they are all collectable.

of course, i happen to own the ONE Karmann Ghia that no one wants to buy....

sigma

Hard-core CEG'er
Everything will end up collectible to somebody at some point in time.

Older Beetles are indeed collectible, but few are "HOT collectibles". Few people lust over Beetles compared to, say, Hemi 'Cudas.

There will always be mass-produced cars that end up "collectible" -- anything more than about 50 years old is going to be "collectible" even if they produced 15 million of them simply because 50 years later there's not that many left. It once again comes down to rarity -- it just took longer to get there than a car that was rare to begin with.

Hydramatic

CEG'er
I already consider the 300 a classic by a design standpoint. I promise you it'll be super popular with all those people out there that couldn't afford them when they were new.

The FJ, XB, XK, hell no they don't belong on that list. Only Fox-body stangs will be considered collectibles. SN95's and later are just too common and fall apart too easily, and no one really lusts after a '99-01 Cobra, I'm sorry. The 03/04 and Cobra R, DEFINITELY.

The Impala SS and Marauder are already collector's items, and should be on that list. The Lincoln Zephyr HAS to be a collectors item, as it was only made under that name for one year before switching to MKZ. The MR2 Spyder will be a collectors car. The FD RX-7 and MK4 Supra have ALWAYS been collectors cars. There will also be a small cult following for the crown Vic, believe it or not. Anyway....

Kremithefrog

Hard-core CEG'er
The FD RX-7.
It's really not that much of a collector's car right now. Definitely will be and I hope to maybe get one before they become one. They're affordable right now, about half what a supra goes for but with about the same if not slightly better performance. Few people wanna deal with rotaries.

Fmr12B

Hard-core CEG'er
Saleen Mustangs for sure
SRT6 - Crossfire
Plymouth Prowlers
Thunderbirds
2004 GTO - first year of prodiuction especially the Cosmos Purple color
Supercharged F150 Harley Davidson editions

If the SRT8's make the list the CTS-V should as well as the Jaguar S-Type R.

todras

Pretty fly for a white guy *cowbell*
'86 t-bird Supercoupe was on a list a few years ago FYI. Cars like a Terminator might be fairly common now but wait until most are wrecked 20+ years from now. Don't forget about unmolested models. Performance cars are usually hacked right away.

Swazo

Hard-core CEG'er
Like others have said, limited production doesn't mean a car would be widely collectible. Styling can do it by itself, even in mass production

Some examples are:
1927-33 Ford.... anything
55-57 Chevy cars or trucks
1959 Caddy Eldo's
64.5-66 Mustangs
bla bla bla

ZoomZoom Diva

Hard-core CEG'er
True collectibles usually have something that makes them different or unique from other cars.

That said, I think the RX-7 convertible has good potential as the only factory rotary-powered convertible as well as it's unique roof design (semi-rigid that can operate as a targa).

XKontour98

Hard-core CEG'er
I could see the Audi TT coupe and the 300 being a worth while collective car in the future. I've always been impressed with them.

BUT THE SCION XB! No freaking way! They are a stupid, fugly car now, why the hell would you want one for half a mil in 20 years?

And the same on the FJ Cruiser...wth is that? :nonono:

QUOTE]

If the XB or Element makes the list, ya better add Astro Vans lol!

todras

Pretty fly for a white guy *cowbell*
And the same on the FJ Cruiser...wth is that? :nonono:

Pretty sure I'll take one anyday! It's just missing the winch.
main_medium.jpg

2ac5_4.JPG

2c9e_4.JPG

2b4e_4.JPG

Bronco_WRX

Veteran CEG'er
My vote is for the Lincoln Blackwood. Even though nobody wanted them when they were new, I bet one day the shear rarity (3,356 produced over 15 months) will make them collectible. When was the last time you even saw one on the road? And for that matter, how many of you even knew this was made? Even more rare are the Neiman Marcus editions, of which only 50 were made.

JEDsContour

CEG'er
Low mileage Tropic Green Contour SVTs - #1 potential collector car in the US!...or not.

That's one crystal ball I have no aptitude for. Some cars have suprising value in time regardless of condition - here's one I was ready to sell for $100 (or call the wrecker), auction ends on Saturday.
1.jpg

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=008&sspagename=STRK%3AMESE%3AIT&viewitem=&item=180077225308&rd=1&rd=1

I've had over 1300 people view this ad so far with 52 "Watchers." I wonder what it will finally sell for...

Last edited:

ev1lbry4n

CEG'er
what a lame list....

heres my top ten in no order of future collector cars
1-pontiac GTO
2-lincoln blackwood pickup truck
3-corvette ZR1
4-40th ann. Yellow Pontiac firebird trans-am
5-Nissan 300zx
6-Fox body mustangs (triple white vert's, SVO turbo's and 93 cobras)
7-mustang cobra GTR
8-ford gt
9-dodge viper ACR
10-The 2008 chevy camaro prototypes

rouar

Fixer
Admin
Baco I agree with your list except for the Quattros. Additionally, some of the cars you mention will probably fetch a price premium but won't be known as "collectable" (or "desirable"). For instance the Galant VR4, precious few people know the car exists (although it is coveted by those who do) and I assure you it won't be on any Hollywood hotlist.

Low mileage Contour SVTs are fetching quite the premium these days, and I feel will only continue to increase in the future. Heck, even high mileage SVTs are priced at or above KBB.

hectik1

The Hispanic Hellion
Bet you the Evo will be a on the list.......they keep on getting wrecked.:blackeye: In all seriousness.....at least one a week is reported on EvoM as wrecked.:help:

XKontour98

Hard-core CEG'er
That black FJ doesn't look horrible. But I still think they are ugly as hell! Especially the blue ones with the white tops, look like Colman coolers rooling down the street!

Functionally and affordability are the only two things I like about the FJ, still don' make-up for looks though!

uglyblueFJcruiser.jpg

coolmancooler.jpg

Hydramatic

CEG'er
That black FJ doesn't look horrible. But I still think they are ugly as hell! Especially the blue ones with the white tops, look like Colman coolers rooling down the street!

Functionally and affordability are the only two things I like about the FJ, still don' make-up for looks though!

QUOTE]

+1 UGLY!!!!

There is a guy who comes by my work occasionally in an original FJ. I'm pretty sure it's about the ugliest 4x4 i've ever had the displeasure of seeing. Makes the Jeep TJ look like a beauty queen. It's a tall, stubby, ugly as sin utility vehicle. Who could possibly have fallen in love with the original to the point of meriting a new retro version?

Attachments

• 1973%20Toyota%20FJ%20Cruiser.jpg
    1973%20Toyota%20FJ%20Cruiser.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 0

ruwfo

New CEG'er
YES....cool to look back, and yes the FJ are big $ now

but Rouar prediction falls way short.

"Low mileage Contour SVTs are fetching quite the premium these days, and I feel will only continue to increase in the future. Heck, even high mileage SVTs are priced at or above KBB."

I've never & may never see a CSVT go for even close to it's sticker price @ $24K+. Look I love the CSVT, and it's rare etc, but
just cause the where NOT many sold, don't make it a top collectors car.

prefect example is the

1 of 1 428ci 4-Speed Ford Country Squire Wagon | Barn Find Hunter - Ep. 13​

super rare, but worth next to nothing, and unless you love the Country Squire.

Last edited: