• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Fuse panel help

Havok

New CEG'er
Ok, so here goes part 1 to my endless issues. I took a look at my fuse panel tonight under the dash of my '99 CSVT, and i noticed something odd. The fuse panel has slots like the radio among other places that are supposed to get a A7.5 amp fuse, and there inlies my issue. My radio, in which you can see on my pics isn't connected, has a 10 amp. I didn't think much of that one, but as i kept looking i saw others that have higher amp fuses such as 25-30 amp. If I'm not mistaken, higher amp fuses can cause more issues including starting fires.

The main reason I am asking about fuses has to do with my rear lights. My backup lights have a spot where, on both lights the clear cover have melt spots in the center of them, and my passenger rear light looks like the connector has been over heated and has altered the color a bit. When i get the chance I'm going to a parts store for more fuses.(tomorrow) Should i try to find a new connector and replace it or will it be ok with the right fuse amperage?

Its true higher amp fuses can definitely cause wires to melt and even start fires. Wires can only handle so much current before they start to generate heat, the fuse equipped should be small enough to pop before the wire could heat up in the case of a short. I would replace any fuses that do not match up to what the manual/fuse cover states should be the max amperage.

That said, I don't know how that could cause the issue you're having with the burnt reverse light covers. Did you pull the bulbs out and make sure they're the original bulb number? Perhaps someone put a brighter/hotter bulb in there.

back up lights

back up lights

No, I haven't pulled them yet. I just got started on the restoration process since the last owner destroyed so much.

Yes, definitely replace the fuses with the correct ones per the manual. Also I think Redlineracer hit the nail on the head. $20 says you have higher wattage bulbs in the tail lights. The correct bulbs should be shown in the manual too if I'm not mistaken.

O.k. so, in replacing the fuses, which came to a grand total of 7 I believe that I replaced of the 7.5 amp, my PATS indicator light and key fob started working again. :laugh: Next project I think I need to accomplish is attempting a stereo install. As the pics show what I want to accomplish before I take on any more projects on this, and my stereo wiring is a bit of a mess. :nonono: I would check the backup lights, but I have no one around right now to help. I'll have to make sure they are working tonight.

Well don't start the car, but have the key in the ignition on position... put the park brake on, and then put the shifter in reverse. Your backup lights will come on.

EDIT: also what pictures are you talking about? I do not see any...

Back