• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Fuse 23 blowing out

RedStarMN

CEG'er
I keep blowing Fuse 23, that runs the AC/heat back up lights, turn singles I believe. Its a the 2.0 99 automatic. I first thought it was the Blower Resister due to the first time it went out I had the ac on , it blew out and I could smell something when it went out. figured when had a day off would look into it, but next am tried to go to work and found I could not get out of Park, found out about the fuse 23 issue and swapped the fuse. on way to work next day it blew again while driving, had gone fine for about 10 min, then 2 min after turned ac back on , it blew out. ( thus why I thought it was the resister) but then yesterday it blew again while in my parking lot trying to do a little turn around, and not only did it blow again, but car lost power. restarted, changed fuse...but no ac was on this time, or fan. Any ideas? I don't get a lot of free time to work on it myself, but I can do some basic fixes when have time and a place to put car to work on * apartment complex does not let you work on cars in lot) thanks for any help

sorry for the mutli posts, computer issue was saying they where not posted, but then looks like they did.

It might help if you make a laundry list of the circuits Fuse 23 serves.

You could then go thru the circuits one by one checking wires for cracked / rubbed insulation. All our cars are now suffering with harness wear .... it's a good place to start.

Check back and let us know what you find ....G.

P.S. If you get the error message when you try to post .... ignore the error message and just refresh the page (F5) .... it should post up.

thanks , I figured it was just me, since my computer is a bit off since updated to 10. is there a way to delete messages? will update when know what issue was.

thanks , I figured it was just me, since my computer is a bit off since updated to 10.
heard there's no in private browsing on 10 ... is the streaming quicker with the new browser ?

is there a way to delete messages? will update when know what issue was.
You can delete the contents of each repost but the post itself can't be deleted by us. AFAIK. The mods will clean up the thread if they see fit ...G.

no in private is still there, both firefox and the microsoft edge as well. the interface is better, but my net is a bit slower. keep in mind I use a t mobile hot spot as my only net connection for my PC, so its never the best connection. and I have noticed I changed to useing my phone as the hot spot and it works better, so may have been that. overall I can't tell much difference from 8, outside of it looks more a PC driven system again for how I have it set.

so it turned out it was the switch that turns the ac on with a short. then of course it was hard to find place that said they where going to get one took forever. got the part in , and that night, car went out in parking lot ramp. Had to have it towed and the ac seized up and was causing the motor to not turn out. ran a bypass on the condenser as I was not going to the pay the money for a new one. so now that part is not needed, as nothing to turn on. But at least the heat works and thats all I will need for next 5 months.

Red- I have the SAME exact problem, and did the same thing. I just bypassed my compresor with the NON-AC belt.... I never us my AC anyways...n now my heat blows cold.

Somewhere I have a electrical gremlin as my lights dim, randomly, and my r/r tale light seems to like to blow out the brake light... I had it checked for shorts and it pulls a different current than the rest..so I leave the bulb out and say fk it..

Back