• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

FSVT conversion

my98SVTturbo

Hard-core CEG'er
Would it be better to upgrade to the Focus SVT calipers, pads and rotors? Or just the rotors and get the NPG conversion kit to mat the FSVT rotors to the contour calipers?

Is there anything special needed to make the FSVT calipers and pads fit?

Thanks

Hi my98SVTturbo;

when i upgraded my front brakes to OEM Ford 300mm rotors and calipers,

i found the calipers bolted straight up but were bigger than 278mm calipers.

If you use the 278mm calipers on brackets, it may allow you to use stock size wheels.

Maybe you can find the recommended wheel size/offset for 300mm rotors and calipers .....G.

I would just use the stock caliper and pads and use the focus rotors, the only reason for going to the focus rotors to give more leverage to the breaking system through the use of a larger diameter rotor.

Would it be better to upgrade to the Focus SVT calipers, pads and rotors? Or just the rotors and get the NPG conversion kit to mat the FSVT rotors to the contour calipers?

Personally I think the FSVT calipers are the better upgrade (more pad contact), but I like my NPG kit. The NPG kit doesn't require you to get new calipers or even pads if you have newer ones. If you had faulty calipers/pads then there might be more reason to go the FSVT kit. Since the contour pads won't cover the entire FSVT rotor you will have a rusty section visible unless you paint it properly.

Is there anything special needed to make the FSVT calipers and pads fit?
I believe you need washers to shim the caliper out or something of that nature. Should be able to find this through a search.

Also if you are increasing size in front you should look into upgrading the rears (NPG) so that the brake biasing is still roughly the same.

I have FSVT rotors and calipers on my 2000 CSVT-The shimming is 3mm and I bought a packet of 1mm shims from Mcmaster Carr. When I did the conversion a few years ago it was possible to buy new loaded calipers from the Ford guys in Vegas and they accepted the Contour ones back as cores. As I needed new pads and rotors anyway the upgrade worked out to be both cost effective and significantly improved braking.

Reason being is
I need new calipers/pads anyway

So I figured if I went with the FSVT calipers that would be an overal upgrade. I also like the choices of pads better for the focus as well.

Also; if you are increasing size in front you should look into upgrading the rears, so that the brake biasing is still roughly the same.

X2. Sticking the front rotors on the rear, stops the car from pitching forward under heavy braking ....G.

I have an npg front upgrade kit for sale, complete with stock fsvt rotor,all on my 99se for roughly 5-6k miles, removed when I traded in the car. Boxed up and ready to ship. 150 shipped and its yours.

When I did the upgrade on mine I ordered new semi loaded calipers with brackets for a 99 SVT and ended up getting E0 calipers and brackets and E1 caliper springs, had to order the right springs from BAT. The E0 pads covered the rotors very well and had much better braking.

Back