• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

FSVT Brakes

slow98SVT

CEG'er
Hey Guys, I know this has allready been covered, but I couldn't find definate information from searching, My front brakes are shot I need new Rotors and pads, soI figured now would be a good time to upgrade. From what I understand that I could run the rotors with stock caliper and spacers from nautalus or focus SVT caliper and rotors with said spacers and something about the washers, My question is first is my information right and if it is, are the FSVT calipers worth switching to. Any help would be appreciated.

Here's my understanding.

The SVT Focus calipers work with the SVT Focus rotors pretty easily, with only a couple of washers needed to keep the brackets from contacting the rotors. The Focus calipers, however, have a smaller piston than the Contour calipers, so the braking force isn't as great.

The SVT-spec Contour calipers and brackets must be relocated away from the hub a little to clear the SVT Focus rotors. The relocation brackets are sold through NPG. This is the best of both worlds - larger rotors with a larger caliper bore.

The SVT-spec Contour calipers and brackets must be relocated away from the hub a little to clear the SVT Focus rotors. The relocation brackets are sold through NPG. This is the best of both worlds - larger rotors with a larger caliper bore.

Don't the Focus SVT calipers support a larger pad that covers more of the rotor though? I have the Nautilus brackets and my pads don't cover the entire rotor, but braking is improved by the additional leverage with the pads being further out on the bigger rotors.

Don't the Focus SVT calipers support a larger pad that covers more of the rotor though? I have the Nautilus brackets and my pads don't cover the entire rotor, but braking is improved by the additional leverage with the pads being further out on the bigger rotors.

Not to mention better pad selection. So you can use the SVTF calipers with the Nautilus brackets with washers or something? That's good to know. So the SVTF calipers/pads have a larger swept area, but the SVTC calipers have a larger bore. What kind of brake lines would be needed with the SVTF calipers? Would the SVTC ones work, or would you have to switch to SVTF brake lines?

Not to mention better pad selection. So you can use the SVTF calipers with the Nautilus brackets with washers or something? That's good to know. So the SVTF calipers/pads have a larger swept area, but the SVTC calipers have a larger bore. What kind of brake lines would be needed with the SVTF calipers? Would the SVTC ones work, or would you have to switch to SVTF brake lines?

The info in this thread is close, but not quite right in the details.

1. The original CSVT calipers can be used with the NPG brackets to fit over the FSVT rotors.
2. The FSVT calipers, when used with 3mm worth of spacers and longer bolts can be used to fit over FSVT rotors.

The FSVT caliper bore is a little larger than the CSVT caliper bore, resulting in a slightly softer pedal feel with the FSVT calipers.
The FSVT pad area is a little larger than the CSVT. This does not have any noticable affect on braking power. It will have a minor improvement in pad life though. The smaller CSVT pad will leave some unswept area on the rotor close to the hub , which could rust and look a little ugly.
IIRC, the line sizes for both calipers are the same, so any lines for a CSVT should work, both stock rubber lines, and aftermarket stainless braided ones.

Fwiw, I think I have two pairs of the brackets left for fitting Cobra calipers and a 13" rotor; send me a PM if you want to go that route instead.

See I looked into the 13" Cobra brakes way, and for me atleast with what I want to do it'll end up costing the same as the TCE kit (I did price everything out with shipping and exchange rate etc.). I'm trying not to spend that much on the car now because I'm trying to get back into racing, as you probably already know Brian, so I'm really doing my best now on not spending too much and selling some extra stuff I have lying around. I wanna go the Nautilus bracket way because it's cheaper and I atleast need something better than stock. Highway on and off ramps are getting scary now.

I'm sure though that if people want to stay with one piece rotors, no track pads and stuff then the Cobra caliper way is the way to go.

... here's something i discovered when i fitted 300mm calipers and discs and pads to my mondeo. The brake pedal travels further to apply the same braking pressure as with the 276mm calipers and discs. I have been told this is because you have to pump more fluid to the larger caliper piston. The main advantage i have found with the upgrade is the reduction in brake fade when slowing from 3 digits. Also; i have 276mm discs on the rear, this makes the car less inclined to dive when you hit the brakes hard ...G.

What calipers do you have? You said 300mm Calipers.. are they st220 calipers or what?
yeah, the same as the ST220. I've been eyeing up some four pot .. but i'm thinking about the pedal travel issue and wondered that for the best results, you really need the OEM master that comes with them ...G.

What calipers do you have? You said 300mm Calipers.. are they st220 calipers or what?

In your situation, if you don't need to replace your calipers anyway, just run the NPG bracket set, front and rear. Move your current front rotors to the rear, and get some new FSVT front rotors (300mm rotor). Pedal feel stays the same, balance stays good, and it won't cost you very much. And you get more stopping power, and better fade resistance.

Don't worry about gorman's setup, because unless the ST220 calipers are identical to the FSVT (and I don't think they are) its an apples to oranges comparison. But, the FSVT calipers will make the pedal a little bit softer/longer travel as I said above, but I don't believe as bad as the ST220 calipers (I don't know what size those are).

yeah, the same as the ST220. I've been eyeing up some four pot .. but i'm thinking about the pedal travel issue and wondered that for the best results, you really need the OEM master that comes with them ...G.

All depends on what piston sizes are on the 4-pot calipers you use. The 2000 Cobra R piston sizing actually fits extremely well with the size of the stock Contour master cylinder (including your ST24 mondy).

Hey Rara; your summation of my setup is spot on. The ST220 single piston calipers i 'm using were very cheap and convenient and better than the 276mm OEM stuff, so i fitted them .. it saved me the hassle of brackets.
Over here the Focus RS has 4 pot calipers 325mm discs and are what i'm stalking....G

In your situation, if you don't need to replace your calipers anyway, just run the NPG bracket set, front and rear. Move your current front rotors to the rear, and get some new FSVT front rotors (300mm rotor). Pedal feel stays the same, balance stays good, and it won't cost you very much. And you get more stopping power, and better fade resistance.

Don't worry about gorman's setup, because unless the ST220 calipers are identical to the FSVT (and I don't think they are) its an apples to oranges comparison. But, the FSVT calipers will make the pedal a little bit softer/longer travel as I said above, but I don't believe as bad as the ST220 calipers (I don't know what size those are).

Yeah I'm most likely gonna do that. The only reason why I want the SVTF calipers is the better and wider array of pad choices.. but then again there is the extra effort and money being put into it.

Oh and I wasn't thinking of doing gorman's setup, I was just confused and curious as to what his setup was.

What Rara explained is exactly what I want to do this winter. NPG brackets, FSVT rotors up front, CSVT front rotors in the rear and new pads all around. I want to buy all new rotors so it's all "equal". I figure all in all, it's going to be about $600 - give or take...
Erick --

Also... When I do this, I figured I'd add in some SS lines too. Probably the best time to do it! :)

Hey Rara; your summation of my setup is spot on. The ST220 single piston calipers i 'm using were very cheap and convenient and better than the 276mm OEM stuff, so i fitted them .. it saved me the hassle of brackets.
Over here the Focus RS has 4 pot calipers 325mm discs and are what i'm stalking....G

Fwiw, the C170 based Focus RS 4-pot calipers are virtually identical to the 2000 Cobra R calipers. The biggest differences are the Focus calipers are silver and the Cobra ones are black, and the original pads for the Focus have some anti rattle pins on the back of them that the Cobra pads don't have. The brackets I made for the guys here should work perfectly for you to fit a set of the Focus RS calipers, and since you have access to the RS rotors (again, same rotor, main difference is the bolt pattern is drilled for the Focus hub) you won't even have to redrill them. Let me know if you want to work out something for a set of brackets. I've got two sets sitting on a shelf in my garage doing nothing.

Let me know if you want to work out something for a set of brackets. I've got two sets sitting on a shelf in my garage doing nothing.
interesting ... i have an ST220 inlet manifold sitting in a box doing nothing. Maybe if you have the brakes we could strike a deal LMK ...G.

I want to buy all new rotors so it's all "equal".
You would probably be better of re-using your front rotors (unless there is something wrong with them), and just have them turned down. You don't want a brand new rotor because they will be much thicker than they need to be for use in the back. In fact I remember the instructions suggesting having the old fronts turned down to their minimum spec so they were closer to the size of the original rears.

interesting ... i have an ST220 inlet manifold sitting in a box doing nothing. Maybe if you have the brakes we could strike a deal LMK ...G.

I don't have a contour anymore . . . otherwise I probably would. Though, my old car already had an ST220 manifold on it anyway, lol.

Don't worry about gorman's setup, because unless the ST220 calipers are identical to the FSVT (and I don't think they are) its an apples to oranges comparison.
i've had a look at comparison photo's of the FSVT calipers and mine are almost identical visually, apart from i don't have the external pad springs. Maybe someone can post up if the FSVT brakes feel a little longer in the pedal than stock ...G.

What Rara explained is exactly what I want to do this winter. NPG brackets, FSVT rotors up front, CSVT front rotors in the rear and new pads all around. I want to buy all new rotors so it's all "equal". I figure all in all, it's going to be about $600 - give or take...
Erick --

Also... When I do this, I figured I'd add in some SS lines too. Probably the best time to do it! :)

I have $600+ in my brakes and I kept the same size pad/rotor

Back