• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Forged 3L damage, opinions?

FastFord

Hard-core CEG'er
Well the cougar I bought has oil leaking out from between the trans and engine, so I am thinking the crank seal inside the bell housing is leaking. Then I noticed that the DMD pulley has a dent in it causing it to wobble and be unbalanced when running which cant be good for the rod bearings crank seals etc. So I am on the search for a new engine.

My options would be to buy just another escape or taurus 3L for about $600-$800.
Or pay about $1k at the most for a 3L that has 900miles with Kinger PNP 2.5L heads, Pauter Rods, Sealed Power Pistons, and Knife-Edged Crank. Problem with this engine is that it has been in an accident which ripped the front valve cover open, heres pics...

devinscar1.jpg

devinscar3.jpg

devinscar4.jpg

devinscar2.jpg

I wont need to use the heads or valve covers or anything, just the bottom end. I am going to simply look at the engine tomorrow, but would like others opinions about using the bottom end of this engine.

I would think that it would be ok. But you are going to have to rip it down and inspect everything to make sure no chunks of metal have gotten into the oil pan and the pump. If you don't that would be asking for trouble imho.

I wouldnt use it without doing a complete rebuild. it doesnt take much foreign material to destroy bearings and being open like that you have no idea what might have gotten down into the oil and sucked up the oil pump before the engine stopped running.

Well those rods are $1300 themselves... so I'd say throw down and buy the engine. Remove the pan and have a look up the skirt to see what shes got to show. If all is well put on a new valve cover, valve cover gaskets, and a pan gasket and call it a day.

Went and looked at the engine today. I asked about the coolant passages on the heads and he said some of them were welded closed during the build to put the 2.5L heads on, so my 04 oval port heads wouldnt work on that block. I really want to keep the oval port intake manifold so thats kind of a deal breaker. If someone is interested in buying the heads I will buy the whole engine and ship the heads(they would need a good cleaning)

Dug this thread up. Last weekend I went and picked this motor up. Had high hopes about using the engine and just cleaning it up real good, but I also knew there was the possibility of this....

engine102.jpg

enginedamage1.jpg

enginedamage2.jpg

aa5.jpg

The heads can be fixed pretty easily, and the pistons MIGHT be able to live another life, but are most likely trashed due to debris getting between the piston and cylinder walls. So now I am left with these untouched 900 miles parts, including ARP head bolts and...

aa2.jpg

aa1.jpg

aa3.jpg

My guess is that the driver panicked and started cranking it over continuously trying to get out of traffic. Shame, as it only had 900 miles and was never opened up or better yet taken over 3k rpm, still had 17lb injectors due to needing emissions and tune.

Back