• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Ford is going to be doing my 3L build. I have some questions...

my98SVTturbo

Hard-core CEG'er
I have been searching but I am still confused. Can someone help me answer these questions?

In order to do a 3L hybrid which uses the 3L block, 2.5L SVT heads, 2.5L SVT intake are there any adapters I need to buy or will it just bolt right on? Does the MTX75 bolt right on to the 3L block without any bearings?

or for a 3L oval port It uses a 3l block, 3L heads, SVT 2.5L intake and a adapter such as this one?
http://nautilusperformance.com/perf...category=2181208&mode=product&product=9153799

Which set up is better for a NPG turbo kit? and or which one is better at producing the most N/A front wheel horsepower?

Also of these two setups other then the gains Im not really sure which one would be the easier of the two to install. I don't want to go with the full 3L long block because I want to at least maintain my stock intake.

When doing this project what are somethings that should be replaced?

Some of the things I need or was going to replace when doing one of these two build are:
MSDS headers
MSDS Y pipe
Under drive pulleys (does anyone know where to get these?)
Alternator
water pump
power steering pump

and some other things not too related but that I plan on doing are
SCT xcal 3 with custom tune
and custom Borla exhaust 2.5" with flex pipe and no cats

anything else for the engine?

The trans I wanted to go with a clutch stage 3+
Fidanza aluminum flywheel(can they be resurfaced?)
Limited slip diff

Also what is a HMS trans and were could I get one or who should I get in contact with?

The throttle body I was going to get optimized and off course get the NPG turbo kit(which will be a little later)

Am I forgetting anything?

I am going to have the Ford dealer do the install since im getting a really good labor rate. Is there anything I should them or warn them about before they do this job?

I want to make sure its pretty straight forward so they don't make any mistake in the process. I was going to take it to one of the people who do the 3L swaps on here but everyone is too far from me and it would be too much of a hassle getting a car that doesn't run right now to them. I live in MD and have found no one remotely close to do such a project.

Also what would be the best years to look for for a 3L

01-05 Escape, Taurus, Sable?

any other years or models that I didn't mention?

Thanks everyone!

Well I can tell you this....if you plan on boosting your car then don't do a hybrid and how are you getting a ford dealer to do the work? I wouldn't think they would touch such a project unless your replacing the motor with a stock one. Hell I have a hard time getting any ford dealer to work on contour period. Most dealers around my area will not touch my contour.....not that I take it to them but I have in the past.

Maybe search a little more. You said you want to do an HMS trans and then you mentioned that you'd like to do a limited slip. You'd want to do one or the other. HMS transmissions generally come with a LSD so you just need to search and find info on contacting Terry Haines to get one built, or you can buy look into a limited slip and all the other tranny upgrades and do it/have it done yourself.

The engine information is mentioned in every other thread in the 3 liter section so just do a little reading and you'll find what you want. Same with determining which will give you more power hybrid vs full 3 liter, all it takes is a little reading time. Bgrogan01 is right though if you plan on boosting you shouldn't go hybrid as the compression is increased as are your chances of detonation resulting in engine failure. Search!!

Yeah I don't see a Ford dealership ever doing such a thing, especially since some parts need to be modded to fit IIRC.

I don't even know where to start....

No Ford dealer is going to touch this for you... sorry.

HMS is a company they rebuild MTX-75 transmissions per what the customer's needs, they don't build an off the shelf "HMS Trans".

Fidanaza flywheels do not get resurfaced... they have replacement wear discs, if you went to their website and read about their products you would know this.

You can use NPG's adapter to avoid grinding out the ports to match the 2.5L intake if that is the route you want to take (NPG intake adapter.

Also there is no such thing as a limited slip differential for a Contour (unless you spend big money $2-3k).... Automatic Torque Biasing (ATB) differentials... yes... Torsen T2 or the Quaife variety.

I think you should do a little more research before you start jumping into this project IMO. Good luck.

Last edited:
In order to do a 3L hybrid which uses the 3L block, 2.5L SVT heads, 2.5L SVT intake are there any adapters I need to buy or will it just bolt right on? Does the MTX75 bolt right on to the 3L block without any bearings?

or for a 3L oval port It uses a 3l block, 3L heads, SVT 2.5L intake and a adapter such as this one?
http://nautilusperformance.com/perf...category=2181208&mode=product&product=9153799

your a little confussed here. an oval port build uses all the 3l intake manifolds. 3l block - 3l heads- 3l lim - 3l uim- 3l tb

a hybrid used 2.5l heads so its split port. so you are correct that you use the stock manifolds

Yeah I don't see a Ford dealership ever doing such a thing, especially since some parts need to be modded to fit IIRC.

Agreed, I'd think they'd have to be pretty slow to take on a project like that. Not to mention it would cost a fortune to pay them to modify the motor. You'd also have to know exactly what to do so you could relay it to them. Not going to happen.

Would not have a Ford dealer touch this project even if they were willing.

ASP makes a crank underdrive pulley.

Some of the older Fidanzas do not have the removable friction discs and can be resurfaced by a machine shop, if you have one of these, not sure if this type was ever made for this car though...

I'm a Ford Dealer Heavy Tech...I'd fox with this at work, hybrids a headache though...I'm gonna recommend you do yourself a lot of searching and reading and realize youll be just fine with a oval to split port conversion. Your just gonna confuse the poor guy you get to make it for you!

IIRC, Blackbetty had his done at the dealer.
However, he had a friend or family member who had some pull there, and he also gave them a fully assembled engine from blackcoog that had no outward signs that it was a 3.0 instead of a 2.5.

However, he had a friend or family member who had some pull there, and he also gave them a fully assembled engine from blackcoog that had no outward signs that it was a 3.0 instead of a 2.5.

Yeah I was going to add that, you would have to have someone who worked there that you knew in order for anyone to touch it, walking into a Ford dealer and telling them you wanted to swap to an engine that was never put in the car factory would get you laughed out. You have to consider their liability, we all know the 3L duratec is a revised 2.5, and they might know it too, but since the 3L was never an option for the car they will probably tell you it's different and would not want to assume the risk of something happening to it and you suing them for putting in something non-stock. Also as I mentioned some parts need to be mod'd to fit IIRC, at the very least a tab has to be cut off the 3L block and (I think) a mount has to be ground down slightly, they would never do that.

For full knowledge about it I'd refer to Blackcoog who has done a ton of them and makes prep'd engines, so he kinda knows what he's talking about ;).

If the Heavy Technician had an understanding of the architecture of this engine then he'ed be willing! the deal breaker i can see with most techs is gonna be the porting however. but if you supplied the NPG adapter that may alleviate all concerns.

I am going to go with the drop in motor from blackcoog. My dad works at the Ford dealer and told them the situation and they said they do it.

HA! Love this! Once I stopped laughing... it is great advice

HA! Love this! Once I stopped laughing... it is great advice

Soooooooooo much info here... You really do have to read a lot, but it all seems to be here.

:laugh::laugh:[/QUOTE]

Back