• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Fog / Driving light "base" questions

Bacondoggy

New CEG'er
I love DealExtreme. Good prices on certain things + free shipping even if you buy something for a dollar. LOL -That being said, I have a question about our bases. On other contour sites, I have heard people talking about different bases working for our cars. I hear 893 is the "stock" replacement # for the base. HOWEVER, I hear that 885's also work and 880's "should" work.

Before I go and buy bulbs that most likely cannot be returned, I would like to know for sure which bases do work. I'm not saying that they all can't work, but you would think different numbers mean different styles and therefore how could they all fit perfectly?

If 880's work these would be awesome!

http://dx.com/p/880-12-5w-600lm-25-smd-5630-led-white-car-fog-light-12v-2-pcs-255200

That is a pair of superbright LED's for under $10 and free shipping AND 600 lumen output. This actually seems too bright and may find lower output bulbs (I see fog lights in the 40 lumen range). Nice thing about LED's is they typically last longer and generate less heat.

I think I am going to stop searching for led bulbs until I get the bases verified. Also, if any other bases work aside from 893,885 and (maybe?) 880, please let me know!

Good to know all those bulbs will work. Now to decide whether to go with LED or HID bulbs... U can get them both for around $12 for the pair. (even "real" hid's with ballasts - - probably el cheapo's, but as long as they are yellow, its all good). Any suggestions for one or the other, and why?

the only other tip i have is that its possible to use slightly modified 9005 high beam bulbs in the low beam socket if you own a Dremel and a ball mill bit:cool:

Back