• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Focus shift tower cable end fix.

v had a customer that was having a problem with the Focus Shift tower upgrade. He got the new cables (X7SZ-7E395-AB) and the Focus ends (YS4Z-7412-HA & YS4Z-7412-JA). As we all know the ends on the Focus have a bigger ball socket, but the new clamps do not match the cable insert section, square versus round with guide (photo 1, 2)

The first thing I did was pop out the bushing in side the clamp on the new cable set (photo 3). That was pretty easy, just used a socket and tapped it out with a hammer. Then what I did was cut the Focus clamp in between the bushing and the clamp section (photo 4). I then seperated that bushing from the new Focus clamp. There are 4 little "ears" that hold it into the clamp body, just file these down a little and push the Focus bushing into the Contour/Cougar cable clamp. (photos 5,6)

Let me know if you think this will work or not. Thanks!!

Photo (1)
dsc02019ls4.jpg

Photo (2)
dsc02021kl3.jpg

Photo 3
dsc02017wy0.jpg

Photo 4
dsc02022go9.jpg

Photo 5
dsc02023ib7.jpg

Photo 6
dsc02024am6.jpg

Two questions.

"The first thing I did was pop out the bushing in side the clamp on the new cable set (photo 3)."
Should this be on the old (rather than new) cable set?

"Then what I did was cut the Focus clamp in between the bushing and the clamp section (photo 4)."
Would it not be possible to pop the bushing out with a socket and hammer too? (as you popped out the old one that way).

Thanks.

Two questions.

"The first thing I did was pop out the bushing in side the clamp on the new cable set (photo 3)."
Should this be on the old (rather than new) cable set?

"Then what I did was cut the Focus clamp in between the bushing and the clamp section (photo 4)."
Would it not be possible to pop the bushing out with a socket and hammer too? (as you popped out the old one that way).

Thanks.

1) I was using the new cables that I had in stock. But the main thing we are doing is fitting the new larger hole Focus end into the cable end on the new set so everything is nice and tight, no slack.

2) I tried that, there are 4 little metal ears that hold this busing in the cable end. I tried it with a socket and hammer and it would not budge, so I just cut it then seperate the bushing from the housing.

thanks for bumping this up for me Bill.

For the one cable end you were speaking of...your "How-To" worked like a charm. As for the other cable end...the black one...it was a little more than pop out pop in.

You have to carefully remove the little blue grommet from inside the focus cable end. Then you must drill a PRECISE hole in the cougar/contour end in which this grommet must go. I put some epxoy on the back of it to help hold it in place. the just snap on as normal. I have been driving it around like so for two days with no problems. The only thing i can see being a problem for anyone is if the drill the hole too big. When i get home i will post the drill size i used to make the hole just right.

PS...good god it is a pain changing out those cables!!!

I know this is an old thread, but just wanted to say thanks. I accidentally ordered the wrong cable end and all I had to do was swap out the insides instead of having to buy a new end.

Always glad to help you guys out. I don't stop by as much as I used to.

I finally sold my 96 Mystique a year ago to a guy I work with. Still driving it around. It's a shame I see it every day and I realize how much I loved it!

Back