• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Focus Fuel Pump?

SVTPHAT

CEG'er
I did some searching on old forums for this and didn't get what I was looking for. So is an SVT Focus's fuel pump that much better than the CSVT's? If so why didn't they put the same, or same quality fuel pump in to begin with?

Its pretty safe to say that automakers will attempt to IMPROVE things as years go by, right? That, and the fact that to improve means that you had to be LESS efficient, or have worse quality in the first place..

Now, considering the Focus SVT CONCEPT was unvieled in April of 2002, and the SVTC was HALTED in 2000. it would be REALLY hard to have an FSVT fuel pump (or the same design) two years earlier than it was released.

Things get better with time, man.. and we were first in line, so that means we get the "drawing board" stuff!

Well what excatly does the FSVT fuel pump do that the CSVT pump doesn't do?Obviously it flows more but,do you get better fuel economy,better tuning capabilities,more horsepower?I know that in FI cars the need to go to a large fuel pump when there are pushing big PSI into there engine.But does the CSVT pump starve the engine of fuel that we need to upgrade to the FSVT one?

The biggest advantage is that if you have a pump[ failure on the late 99 or newer (returnless fuel system) is that you can buy the Fsvt pump without buying the entire fuel pump module so you save money. True, the FSVT pump also has a bit more capacity, but that's just a bonus since you are not likely to need the extra capacity.

well it just seems weird to me that they would put a better fuel pump in a FSVT weather it's newer or not, being how SLOOOOOOW they are.:laugh:

I had a fuel pump failure on my returnless 00, swaped in the FSVT pump with some simple wiring and I've had no problems yet. Id suggest doing it if you have any problems.

Thanxs BigJim for the clarification,as of now I had no problem with my feul pump so I guess I will just keep my fingers crossed for now.

Does any one have a part number and a year range for the Focus SVT fuel pump? Looking around I see a couple different pumps 02-04 anf 05-06 year ranges but nothing mentioning SVT.

if you buy the entire svt contour fuel pump module, it has been redesigned similar to the focus style. I am talking about the returnless, by the way. The new module is suspended from the top of the tank unlike the factory which is snapped to the floor. They have a ford tool that cuts the mounting ring off the floor of the tank and you remove it. You then install the entire new module and are done. The original contour design has a problem with the sock filter inside the tank clogging. Most people say leave it out and problem solved. These are the same people that will slice the floor up to take it out through the floor eliminating the need to drop the tank.
My experience, I removed my tank, found that the filler was not properly seated into the tank. There was all sorts of dirt around on the seal, telling me that it was not pressed in enough and dirt was getting in. this explains the sock clogging. My solution, replace entire module with the redesign, which comes with a new filler tube seal, and re-install the tank. no problems since. Granted, this is the more expensive and more difficult way, its how i did it.

most people will say replace the pump only, dont install the sock. and do it through the floor. I personally wouldn't do it that way (and i didnt)

...most people will say replace the pump only, dont install the sock. and do it through the floor. I personally wouldn't do it that way (and i didnt)
How about doing a write-up for those of us who would like to follow in your footsteps? :)

Here you go Tony. This is with the removal of the gas tank in order to clean and inspect it.
http://www.contour.org/ubbthreads/s...7895&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=365&fpart=1
Thanks to IceFury for letting me work on his car.

This covers the steps to remover the tank, but it discusses changing the pump itself.
I differ from it like this:

once the module is out (the 1/4 turn to release it from the bottom of the tank), you need a ford special service tool (maybe you can borrow it from your local dealer as I did) to cut the ring from the bottom of the tank. The new module is a direct drop into the tank. It has springs that push it down, and feet that touch the bottom of the tank. The springs always hold pressure to keep it at the bottom. you install it with the o-ring, then put on the new collar. Then put the new filler grommet in, put it back together.
The plus side is you dont need to take the module apart like you have to in order to change the pump only, and you also have a re-design that has a much larger sock filter and no disc filter. The negative side is that you have to pay big bucks for it. to me, more than worth it. (the pump had been changed at 43k on mine, it was acting up again at 45k. I pulled it, cleaned the sock, cleaned the disc, had problems again at 46K)

As i said, my theory is the problem is not a too restrictive disc filter, the problem is that the filler leaks, allowing dirt to get in and clog both filters. I may be wrong, but why would ford re-design the entire pump module on a car that was out of production and give you a new filler grommet with it? hmmmmmm....

That definitely makes sense. It seems that Ford gets tired of people *****ing about their "Built-in Obsolescence" as I like to call it. The only downside is that it takes the platform to be dead before they develop the 'fix'. So now we have new oil pans, better oil galleys in the head (3L), better block castings
(3L), better ball joints and tie rod ends (universal), and now better fuel pumps.
Any thing else

i had a fuel pump issue with my 2k csvt. turns out the pump was fine the sock filter attcted to the fuel pump itself collapced and that was the reason for it bucking above 4K rpms. really pain in the a$$ problem.

new csvt fuel pump assembly $230

new focus svt fuel pump assembly $80

so i went with the focus svt pump thinking i could use the sock fuel pump filter off that . - YOU CAN'T - there a a few other differences

the fuel pump assembly case off the focus svt is not usable in the csvt. the wiring harness for the focus svt fuel is backwards but easily modified to fit.

so all i really used was the focus fuel pump itself there there just about the same except the focus svt has a better flow rate and the electrical connection is slightly different.

i ended up having to cut a small slit in the stock csvt filter . clean it first with carb cleaner or berrymans b-12 chemtool < this stuff is great works like a charm.

so after you cleaned the stock csvt sock fuel pump filter cut a small slit in it and i used a metal " L " shaped clip off a writing pen and fit that into place to allow the filter to remain open during heavy duty high rpm use.

works great haven't had any problem for the passed two years.

the fuel pump is easily accesible from the back seat with a pair of tin snips and a little cutting to allow for a larger hole to get the unit out, there a write up elsewhere or at least there was on the OLD FORUM. why it was changed i'll never know.

- and thats all i have to say about that -

When Blacoog replaced the fuel pump on my 00 returnless he bought the Focus SVT assyembly, pulled the pump, scraped the rest that come with it. Then he cut off the plugs on both pumps, wired in the clip from the old to the new, put that pump in the CSVT holding box and reinstalled on the car. No removal of internal snap rings, didnt drop the gas tank either. Process was done casually in about 30-45 min.

I had the exact same problem, my car was bucking and completly loosing power over 3K, the filter on the outside of the pump was completly back.

That's true. I never knew that there was a redesigned pump until probably 5 months ago when I was talking to a Ford mechanic that said they replace the whole housing with a newer design. I've seen both setups and the newer design is much better as far as ability to get gas out of the bottom of the tank goes. There is also a sock that has a much larger surface area than the screen that came in our cars' stock pump.

I have the FSVT pump in my car because when mine went bad they didn't have the redesigned pump. Also, the Contour pump housing is MUCH more expensive than the focus setup. Last I checked, the contour housing is ~$300 where as the Focus SVT housing/pump is $130.... Bill J. Should have the contour housing cheaper than that though. If you go that route, be sure you have access to the tool to clip out the lock-ring from inside of the tank. The new housing won't sit properly without removing that.

Just a somewhat side-note, the new Contour pump housing is very similar to the F/FSVT pump housing, just a different method of locking it in...

Also, if I were to do it again, I would've probably gotten the redesigned contour pump/housing...

Just some thoughts... ;-)

REdesigned contour fuel pump housing is news to me. since i fixed the problem already its done.

the lock ring under the back seat is nothing a flat head screw driver and a hammer can't solve no need for the special tool IMO.

Back