• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Finally found the reason for the hesitation and bucking, but now, what to do?

Tabari

CEG'er
Hi all, I have had an SVT since 2005 and for the last few years before it got the dreaded rod knock, it hesitated, never idled right and stumbled, long story short, took it to ford, a reputable mechanic in town and an exhaust shop and none of them could figure out the problem. I am taking the motor out currently and got a good look into the headers/cats and its a mess in there, they are plugged up to the extreme. Kinda pissed that i drove around for two years with it driving so rough when I was actively trying to get it fixed but whatever.

My question is, I live In california, these replacement cats cost a fortune, I was already bothered that I couldnt do headers because I need to pass smog but the loss of horsepower gains from the 3.0 upgrade bothered me. The engine still has a way to go before we pull it out but how should I go about dealing with this before I get the 3 liter? Is there a way I can swing headers and still pass the visual? Do I just have to suck it up and get replacement cats? If so what is the most affordable route? Thanks in advance guys.

I know I would pass the visual, but would I pass the sniff test if I were to gut them? I also will be replacing the main cat since its crumbled on the inside as well. Any suggestions as to what I should replace the main cat with other than factory?

look up BAT.inc i know they have a hi flow cat y pipe replacement I would check and see if that is carb legal. if not you might be stuck going to an exhaust show for a replacement CARB cat.

I Will check that stuff out. So there really arent any other options besides spending over a grand for emissions equipment? :(

Back