• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Finally Broke

bhiggs89

Veteran CEG'er
First off, many of you know that I am/was running the stock transmission in my turbo car (Previous owner didnt do any upgrades when he did the turbo install). I had mentioned in several previous threads that if you dont drive like an idiot, then a stock trans will be fine for most people, sans those running the 3L-Turbos.

Well last Friday the stock diff finally decided it had had enough. Started to notice a vibration, which I thought it was due to out of balance tires (I had just put my summer tires back on). It kept getting worse as I kept driving. To the point where I had to pull over. Anything above 20mph and the vibration was difficult to drive with. I am pretty sure i could hear a piece of differential rolling around in the transmission. I slowly drove the 20 miles or so out to my Dad's house, which is where the car sits right now.

So the stock transmission/diff decided to go bad. The car now has 97,785 miles on it. And anywhere from 27-30K of those are with the turbo.

Obviously using the stock trans with a turbo car is not the best choice, but this goes to show if you dont beat on your car or do burnouts or launches, that the stock diff can handle some power.

So this last weekend I went and picked up a used transmission to send off to Terry Haines to install a Torsen, tower mod and a few other mods so that we can drop the new transmission with the 3L that we are installing soon.

I can upload pics of the damage when we take the old trans/motor out.

Sorry to hear this. Was looking forward to seeing both you and your dad and your cars on the 16th. Hopefully you can come with your dad and his car.

Damn sorry to hear that, I have been wondering how long it was going to last. Good job though on making it last, thats a lot of power on one of our stock diffs.

Personally I would have sent it to LivinSVT. I also think you need to update your signature :)

That isn't too bad of milage on a stock diff especially when you were running that much power threw it. Poor things in the 98's are so fragile, if you look at them wrong they tend to have chipped teeth or explode outright. I will say this, a Torsen is very very very nice, you will love it!

Back