• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Exhaust Wrap???

Teal4Banger

CEG'er
Has anyone used exhaust wrap on a stainless steel header? I've searched online and found many contradicting pieces of informaiton. Some say exhaust wrap is good, some say it's bad? Any personal experiences?

I'm looking to reduce underhood temps and if ther are any scavaging bennefits they would be a bonus.

Thanks,

-Teal

Has anyone used exhaust wrap on a stainless steel header? I've searched online and found many contradicting pieces of informaiton. Some say exhaust wrap is good, some say it's bad? Any personal experiences?

I'm looking to reduce underhood temps and if ther are any scavaging bennefits they would be a bonus.

Thanks,

-Teal
exhaust wrap is noto worth it. If it gets wet it will end up shrinking and crack your headers. your best bet would be to get it Jet-Hot coated.

I actually want to do this on my headers but I also heard that they can cause rusting especially for the MSDS raw steel headers! I think this is a good idea cause i just coated my headers myself actually finishing this when I wake up!

- amyn

Well it is not something I am pushing to do!

Maybe in the future when I get my tranny swap cause Im kinda on a Budget Build for my Engine and Header Wrap is not needed/required!

But the logic of it is to keep Heat inside the headers and exhaust and out of your engine bay?!! :shrug: Thats the only reason I feel the need to put the header wrap on. I dont want to always feel so much heat coming out the side of my CSVT. It really is scary how much heat that thing throws out from the engine bay into the wheel wells and such!

- amyn

To the naysayers on this thread I ask 1 simple ? Have you ever used exhaust wrap or are you simply repeating someone else's comments?

I installed header wrap on a set of nickel plated shorty headers on my 5.0 Mustang. It's been there for well over 10 yrs. and they have not rusted away. In terms of how well it works, I would characterize it as excellent. I had a Ford mechanic comment on how well it reduced the underhood temps when he was performing diagnostics. You can actually touch the wrap w/out burning your hand when the motor is fully warmed up. It allowed me to utilize a larger diameter primary header pipe and maintain/improve scavenging.

Sure it will retain H2O, but once your motor comes up to temp all humidity will evaporate. The only drawback that I'm aware of (at least on stainless) is that it can lead to cracking. Stainless is much better at heat retention and I wouldn't bother using it IF I had stainless headers. Sure coatings look cool and do the same job, but not as well UNLESS they are applied to both the inside and outside surfaces.

To the naysayers on this thread I ask 1 simple ? Have you ever used exhaust wrap or are you simply repeating someone else's comments?

I installed header wrap on a set of nickel plated shorty headers on my 5.0 Mustang. It's been there for well over 10 yrs. and they have not rusted away. In terms of how well it works, I would characterize it as excellent. I had a Ford mechanic comment on how well it reduced the underhood temps when he was performing diagnostics. You can actually touch the wrap w/out burning your hand when the motor is fully warmed up. It allowed me to utilize a larger diameter primary header pipe and maintain/improve scavenging.

Sure it will retain H2O, but once your motor comes up to temp all humidity will evaporate. The only drawback that I'm aware of (at least on stainless) is that it can lead to cracking. Stainless is much better at heat retention and I wouldn't bother using it IF I had stainless headers. Sure coatings look cool and do the same job, but not as well UNLESS they are applied to both the inside and outside surfaces.

Im on the route 2 grabbing some Header Wrap! I will do it in the future. Just for the simple reason of underhood temps I think it is worth it!

Didnt think it held the heat in so much that you can actually touch it without burning yourself at normal heat temps!

- amyn

Back