• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Emergency! Front wheel hub needed!

mmc757

Veteran CEG'er
Found two broken studs on my p side front wheel tonight. There are no junkyards open on Sunday, and this WAS my only functional and legal transportation for my family.
If anyone in the area (eastern ct) has one and could somehow get it to me, I would be greatly appreciative. Call or text Scott 8602871861.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Watch these 2 vids by blu_fuz. Its relatively easy to do yourself if you are mechanically inclined.
These are using longer wheel studs, so just make sure to get stock replacement ones from the parts store.

You shouldn't need to replace the hub, you can knock out the broken studs and replace with new.

I think the relevant specs for front Contour/Cougar wheel studs are:
Wheel Bolt Knurl Dia. : 0.515"
Wheel Bolt Shoulder Length : 0.492"
Wheel Bolt Thread Size : M12-1.5
NAPA NOE 6412197 should be right, about $2.50 each.

If you think the car was driven any distance on just the two unbroken studs, they are over-stressed, it would be wise to replace all four studs in that hub.

If you're uncomfortable knocking out the old studs with a hammer, NAPA and other auto parts stores can rent you a tool to push out the old studs, and it helps to warm up the hub metal AROUND the stud with a torch before driving out the old stud.

You guys in the salt belt need to be putting some grease or anti-sieze on your wheel studs. In 45 years of wrenching on cars, I have never broken a greased wheel stud. Broke a couple recently on the FIL's Honda Civic, bought it used with 120K miles, lugs were dry as a bone and broke several studs at the first tire rotation.

One of the things I don't think I have a spare of .... either way be careful with swapping the hub out for one from another car. There are variations over the years in the design so they are not all the same.

(Untitled)

Thanks csvt_0611 and blue fuz.
The videos really helped a lot. The car was about 30 miles from home in a parking lot, so the tidbits about grinding a flat and using washers to draw the stud in saved me a LOT of headache!
Got the car fixed and safely home. The last two ended up breaking as well when I tried to move the car to a safer location. I was moving very slow so the car just dropped with the tire supporting the weight under the fender. Rotor didn't hit the ground, but the fender got bent up a little. Not the end of the world considering how bad this could have been.
I plan on replacing the other 12 now as well. Idk if I overtorqued them or what, I don't think so but anything is possible. I did get new tires fairly recently so maybe the shop overtorqued them, then the salt from the winter did them in...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back