• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Electric shavers

Pete D

Hard-core CEG'er
Flori-duh, well at least my vote counts here
My first shaver was a Norelco, it was OK but nothing to write home about IMO. After that I got a Panasonic Wet/Dry which I loved and had for a few years until...I dropped it in the shower, which broke the seal on the o-ring and ruined it. Replaced that one with a Panasonic Linear (13,000 RPM or whatever) which served me well for a few years. Once I started shaving my head I went back to a blade as that seems to work best and I haven't picked up an electric since, but I would say the Panasonic units are great. The wet/dry is nice as you can use it to shave in the shower (quick and easy cleanup).

Here's one on Amazon

http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-ES8...pd_bbs_sr_2/103-0738756-7493405?ie=UTF8&s=hpc

Tony2005

Addicted CEG'er
I've always used Norelco electrics and been very pleased with them. It's won't shave as close as a blade but it's so close no one will notice.
+1. I have a cordless/corded one since 1989. Bought it for $45 and it is still going strong. The rechargeable battery doesn't work anymore so it has turned into a corded shaver. The replacement blades cost $30 for 3. I think I must have spent maybe $150 on the replacement blades. Norelco "lift and cut" FTW. :cool:

rouar

Fixer
Admin
LOL! That's me exactly. It's so bad that friends have to tell me to be somewhere 30 minutes beforehand. For instance, if we are supposed to meet at 7, they tell me 6:30. Back on topic. My individual hairs are thick, but I couldn't grow a beard for anything. My goatee looks pretty sad too. I think I'll try a cheaper non-rotating head shaver just for those late days when I REALLY need to shave. It's not required at my job to be clean shaven everyday, but I can't look like a hippie either. Thanks for all the advice. And I'll still use my mach3 for close shaves.
Hah - you're describing me too. Individual hairs are wicked thick but sparsely populated. I've been using my Norelco 3605x rechargeable since age 15 (1999). It's not that great anymore but should mention that I'm still using the original blade; should replace that someday. My dad's Norelco (similar model) with newer blades is pretty close.

bishop375

Hard-core CEG'er
I've been using an electric for years. I've used Braun, Remington, Norelco three-head, and am currently using what I *think* is a Norelco block shaver. It does the job well enough (gets me through a day or two). It was $100, IIRC, but, it does a great job if it's cleaned and charged.

Ex-Mean'Tour

CEG'er
Be a man and use a straight razor! :laugh:

Seriously though, I have never gotten a really good shave from an electric.

I'm not sure about a straight razor, no thanks.

I've had a couple different electrics over the years; Braun, Remington, but never really liked them. I have a tendency to get ingrown hairs and I felt like the electric made it worse! I also never felt like I got a good shave.

My Dad used an electric his whole life, but sometimes would reshave after work if he was going somewhere.

A razor is really a personal thing. I have bad luck with disposables, and really like my Mach3.

TourDeForce

Hard-core CEG'er
I use a Sensor triple blade razor now, but in between shaves I freshen up with a Remington cordless electric that I got on UBid.com for $12. It was a top of the line model available in Sears for $139, so I figured I couldn't lose. Wish I'd have bought 5 of 'em for gifts...

I never shave while driving 'cause that would be STUPID. I'll go with the Don Johnson look for a couple of days before I shave while driving. :rolleyes:

Beachboy

CEG'er
I shaved in high school using a blade, but switched to a Norelco in college when it got too be too much of a hassle to wait in line for the bathroom sinks in the dorm. Been shaving with electrics (always Norelco's) for over 35 years now. I know its not as smooth as a blade shave, but the "day old growth" look is apparently "in".

red99sesport

CEG'er
I started shaving at 15 and I used a Gillette Sensor Excel until I was 19. Then I discovered the beauty of the Norelco triple head system. Since I'm one of those guys who can shave at 7 am and then needs to shave again at 5 pm if I'm going out and want to look decent, the straight razor simply wasn't cutting it anymore. Basically the only way I could get a good clean shave with the Gillette was to shave in the shower. I got tired of taking two showers all the time. So, I switched to the Norelco and haven't regretted it since. It took about a month for my hair to grow so it could be cut close by the Norelco, but once it did, the Norelco provided just as close a shave as the straight razor, and I've never had 1 nick using it. I forget the model, but it cost about $85 and it is cordless. It isn't wet/dry, but you can rinse it under the sink to clean it. If you keep it clean according to the instructions, it works like a champ.

chemguru

Veteran CEG'er
I've got an older Norelco Advantage (with the Nivea goop). It doesn't stay charged more than a couple of days, so I'm looking for a new one as well. It seems to work fine for the places on my face that actually grows hair... =/

--JamesT

Big Daddy Kane

Hard-core CEG'er
Everyone I've talked to that hate electric shavers were all the type of person that only has to shave once a week, if that.

Me, I have to shave 1-2 times a day to not get harrassed by my supervisors...

Sucks when I don't shave for a day, though... IRingTwyce is correct about the round ones yanking the hair before cutting :blackeye: