• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Do i need a new caliper ?

ilovesvt

Veteran CEG'er
Just changed the front brake pads on my 1998 EO Csvt today and had to bleed the fronts because i didnt have a piston too had to open the line to push the piston inl....every thing seemed fine after the bleed,stopped excellent and felt safe 100 times better than my worn pads,so i took it in a parking lot to test them out,i braked on them kinda hard like 2 or 3 times just to see if they stop good and they do.

Now i parked the car for a few hours and then started driving and smelled some brake smoke and thought oh crap i braked hard and didnt let the fronts break in and when i pulled over it was the rear passenger side that was smelling and not the fronts,so the other 3 are fine, i put it in neutral and sure enough the car wont budge easy, ive never had a problem like this,and before i go and buy a caliper is this a easy fix or a sign of a bad caliper, pads in the back have plenty of meat on them from previous owner about 15 months ago i assume,never had a problem till today and nothing is leaking out.....did i damage the caliper by breaking kinda hard im guessing i need a caliper but thought id ask my first thought is maybe it will go away on its own lol any help would be great thanks

I would assume you used the parking brake while you performed the front brake job. That would lead me to believe that your parking brake cable may be to blame for your sticking caliper. Mine would stick in the winter before I replaced them and I would simply take a screwdriver, move the parking brake lever manually through the wheel, and voila! Caliper freed! Hope this helps!

I would assume you used the parking brake while you performed the front brake job. That would lead me to believe that your parking brake cable may be to blame for your sticking caliper. Mine would stick in the winter before I replaced them and I would simply take a screwdriver, move the parking brake lever manually through the wheel, and voila! Caliper freed! Hope this helps!

Yea i used the parking brake,i just went outside an hour ago and started the car up and pushed it and now it doesn't seem locked up,but i guess ill find out on my way to work if it sticks again,and when i look at prices of reman ones the fronts are cheaper than the rears some places thats odd lol

I doubled up the return springs on the ebrake arm located on the caliper. Pulls them back to "neutral" with no probs :cool:.

dscn20400001.jpg

Hmmm i guess i got lucky i can drive the car now and not worry about melting anything,even though the caliper is locked,i think its only half way,so the pad wore out to where it doesnt rub the rotor and get super hot,my rear passenger svt rim now has a mild gold glaze over it and the center cap melted a little bit and might have damaged the wheel bearing it kinda sounds like a tiny rumble from that side but no more smoke and no heat coming from there at all now lol

It does sound like you have sticking parking brake cable, have you tried manually releasing it? Park the car on level ground, no parking brake, use a large screwdriver or your hand if you can reach and pull the lever toward the rear of the car. If that doesn't work I will be in Dallas this weekend, I can bring one of my spare calipers if you need it. I have two extra rear sets. If you need it PM me.

It does sound like you have sticking parking brake cable, have you tried manually releasing it? Park the car on level ground, no parking brake, use a large screwdriver or your hand if you can reach and pull the lever toward the rear of the car. If that doesn't work I will be in Dallas this weekend, I can bring one of my spare calipers if you need it. I have two extra rear sets. If you need it PM me.

Lol with my bad luck lately i think im not going to touch it till the end of summer when its not so hot,with my luck it will do something else if i even look at the caliper lol,like my luck when i changed my belt my idle pulley when out instantly then when i change my alternator my tensioner pulley went out,then when i change the idler pulley the the tensioner pulley gets even worse to where i cant hear anything but pulley grinding its louder then my fans on high speed and my radio now im scared to see what else goes when i fix my tensioner pulley lol

Back