• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Dixie Ford in Mississauga for Repairs?

Jo4nny

CEG'er
Hey, so I picked up my 98 E0 SVT a few weeks ago in Ottawa and I'm loving it so far. I drove it from Ottawa back to Mississauga, and I've been to London and back twice for family/friends visits.

As I was driving (2nd gear, about 50km/h -- not doing anything crazy or out of the ordinary) my check engine light came on. I've done a search on these forums and since learned that it could be pretty much anything, most likely a sensor or an air intake leak.

The car runs fine, engine sounds great as ever, just the little light haunting my dreams. I'm also getting periodic grinding sounds coming from the front right wheel area which I need checked out.

Long story short: I need to take her in to get diagnosed and serviced, but I don't want to pay an arm and a leg and I don't want to get screwed by poor quality service. I read that Dixie ford is the GTA SVT headquarters and I'm not too far from it either.

Anybody have any reviews/suggestions on Dixie? Should I take her there first? What do you think they'd charge for a diagnosis? :shrug:

Many thanks and apologies if this is a repeat post, I did a little searching and came up dry.

Go to Autozone and get the scan done for free, then post the code(s) on here and we will try to help you out and/or tell if you need to get it serviced by Ford.

I believe partsource may scan codes for free, although I cannot say that with 100% certainty, Get the codes pulled, search them on here and if you can't find the answers post them to get some insight.

Honestly, taking a 10 year old car to a stealership is crazy in my opinion, and even when my car was under warrenty they never correctly diagnosed any of the issues i had.

I would try a independant for shop who specializes in Ford. I take my SVT to Ultimate Auto in Mississauga at Dixie and Dunsas. They specialize in Mustangs and SVT's and they won't rape you on pricing. Plus they are excellent guys who want to make sure you are satisfied, unlike the dealership. Ask for George.

Once you have the codes, it can be pretty simple. I had the "Contour Enthusiast Light" numerous times, and it was never a terribly complex fix (although I had to get help for the rear upper 02 sensor because my hands were too big). Often times it is one sensor or another, and they are a remove and replace. Not so easy for me at this time of year (no garage) but if you have the space, you can save a lot of cash.

If you wait like a week and half I can scan your codes free of course with my XCal2. I work in Mississauga (Mavis and Burnhamthorpe area).

Aaron

Snob or Alex, mind if I take you up on that offer? Either one of you just let me know when/where is good to meet up for you.

Money's tight until I get paid on the 15th so I'd rather just lift the codes and see if it's a cheap, do-it-yourself fix. I'd only like to take it in if it's something major (I'm gonna take your advice Nate, and take it to Ultimate Auto. I wanted to take it to a private shop rather than a dealer anyway, but without a reference it can be hit or miss).

Thanks everyone for the help!

Dec 17th is the earliest I will have my XCal back as I'm going ot be picking it up when I'm in MI. I will shoot you a PM when I get back.

Aaron

Back