• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

differences in rotors?

KAOS_3.0

Hard-core CEG'er
so I had a chance to see my se rotors next to some SVT's, and aside from them being a little "taller" my SE ones seemed to have a longer pad. the only benefit I saw with the SVT's was a larger rotor face. is this the only difference? would it be possible to use SE rotors with an NPG brake kit? would that be a good idea?

the SE pads are the same as the SVT pads except for the E0 SVT brakes.

the NPG kit spaces the caliper farther from the center of the hub so you can use larger diameter rotors and get more braking torque. obviously this means you cant use the SE rotors since the caliper and pad would sit at the very outer edge and you would only have a small portion of the pad against the rotor.

ok, well I was drunk last night and put "rotors" in several places where I meant to say "calipers" dur....

ok so anyway, are we saying that E1 SVT calipers are the same as SE calipers, short or having taller brackets for the taller rotor? are the backs the same as well? so far the only SVT I've had a chance to compare to is an E0...

and if I remember, the NPG kit is just adapter brackets right? so what I would really need is E1 SVT brackets, NPG adapter plates, 1 pair CSVT front rotors, and 1 pair FSVT front rotors? I ask because my pads are about done, and if I can figure out a way to do this cheap enough, I'd love to fill up my wheels with some brakes...

Good question but like I said when we met if you want I got svt E1 brake calipers and brackets I can sell you cheap before you go home. Just let me know.

obviously thats what I'm thinking about, if E1's take base model pads, that could make for more pad options. in the end I obviously want the NPG kit. I'll call you in the morning, well, a little before lunch time for you...

do they have any pads left at all? my driver side outside pad is literally a few 1/1000's from the metal...

which are really better? why'd they design a different caliper for the first gen SVT, but then switch back to the base ones later?

Cost savings, mostly. It costs more to have to stock a part that is only going to be used in several thousand cars, instead of several hundred thousand cars. Plus, from what I've seen here years ago the thought was that the 'upgraded' SVT brakes didn't really provide a whole lot more stopping power than stock. I don't know how true that is.

Cost savings, mostly. It costs more to have to stock a part that is only going to be used in several thousand cars, instead of several hundred thousand cars. Plus, from what I've seen here years ago the thought was that the 'upgraded' SVT brakes didn't really provide a whole lot more stopping power than stock. I don't know how true that is.

Stopping power is not related to the size of the pad, (though other aspects are, like pad life) so in that respect, the two calipers are virtually identical. (pad centroid is a little different, so theoretically, the E1 calipers may actually have slightly more stopping power, but the difference would be so small it would be undetectable.)

Stopping power is not related to the size of the pad, (though other aspects are, like pad life) so in that respect, the two calipers are virtually identical. (pad centroid is a little different, so theoretically, the E1 calipers may actually have slightly more stopping power, but the difference would be so small it would be undetectable.)

thanks, thats sort of what I was thinking.

so E1's with NPG brackets in the future for me!

I'll ask the program manager...

After speaking with Tom Lavander (SVT Program Manager), he mentioned that after 12 years, he thinks the only REAL difference was that the brackets for the larger rotors (Mondeo) were PIA (part in assembly) with the caliper in 1998 E0 vs. 1998.5+ E1, in which the caliper bracket for the larger rotor was a separate part number and NOT PIA with the SVT caliper. The actual calipers were the same.

He has the internal SVT parts list that may shed a little more info. If more details are desired, I can check out these documents in three weeks.

You'll find that Tom is remembering just a little off. The caliper bodies are different. The E0 caliper is the Mondeo caliper, but the E1 is the base contour caliper, but the bracket is revised to allow it to fit over the larger rotor, compared to the base bracket. For the E1, the bracket was PIA to the SVT caliper into the plant, but it was released seperately for service, which might be why Tom is remembering it as not PIA. I wasn't there when this all was going on, but I was not too long after, and did some research on how it all got released when I was trying to figure it out in the first place.

Back