• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Dash Painting Question

IRingTwyce

I ROCK at bumper cars!
Graham, TX: a place so nice, they rob your house t
Has anyone attempted to paint their dash while it is still in the car? If I go through with my interior swap, I will have to paint the dash, as Greystone is not actually grey, but rather a brown-tinted grey. :nonono: I don't want to pull the dash to paint, and the dash in the parts car is shot so I can't just swap. The steering wheel will likely need to be painted in place as well. It seems to me that masking off the entire interior is going to be a major PITA, not to mention trying to mask off the windshield and headliner.

Thoughts? Suggestions? :help::shrug:

If I don't do the swap, does anyone have suggestions for paint to match the Greystone interior? :confused: If I don't repaint the dash to match the new interior, I'll need to paint the pre-98 console to match the Greystone.

I don't think anyone has but I hear SEM makes a quality vinyl spray paint/dye/whatever. I'd be interested in your results as I hate my non matching dash. It might even be worth it to get a spare dash, paint that, install it, and if it comes out well, paint your old one and sell it. I'm sure we aren't the only ones who loathe the stupid two tone.

I have some vinyl paint, and it's a dead-on match to the medium grey out of my '95 parts car. However, that grey is no where near the same as the Greystone in my '98. My main goal here is to NOT have to pull the dash, as that would be WAY too much work!

It's VERY weird how much brown the Greystone actually has in it. It isn't something you really notice until you get an actual medium grey next to it. Right now I have a 4-tone interior, and that sucks. I've got the darker Greystone on the dash, the light light greystone of the A-pillars and headliner, the medium greystone of the seats, consoles, carpet, and now the medium grey of the door panels out of my parts car. :cry: Looks horrible all together!

So...anyone? Has anyone painted their dash while it is still in the car?

I don't think you will find anyone that has, and if you do, I doubt it came out very nice.

At the very least, I'd think you would need to remove the windshield to get even coverage over the front part of the dash. Not to mention all the masking you would need to do to avoid overspray issues.

Back