• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

D2 Coilover Installation

98SVTC

Hard-core CEG'er
I couldn't find any installation notes on our site for D2's! Couldn't find them for our cars anywhere on the Internet for that matter. Anyone who has purchased a set of these knows that the instructions that come with them (and on the D2 website) are pretty much useless as they are generic, a poor translation into English and don't pertain to our cars necessarily. They pretty much instruct you what you shouldn't do and tell you what they aren't liable for in case you screw up the installation. I have therefore decided that I'll use anyone's notes on Ksport installations as a guideline, especially the "Looky Looky...Ksport" post by CSVT#49 from a few years back. I'll do one end at a time rather than one side at a time so as to not put adverse stress on the sway bars in case that's a concern on these cars. It was on other brands that I read about.

Before I begin I'll have any new parts that I'll probably need at hand to minimize trips to the parts store during installation. Since my car has 120K+ miles on it that means new mounts and bearings for the fronts, mounts for the rears and some lithium grease for the threaded portion of the struts. I won't be using the camber plates I bought. I'll post some pictures to document this task. I'm going to take height measurements before I begin as I don't want to go much lower than the car already is. I have a pretty steep driveway and already "angle" in to get to the garage.

Here are some "before" pictures taken at a Fabulous Fords Forever show a few years ago:

Ford2007070.jpg

Ford2007069.jpg

Ford2007068.jpg

Anyone have any helpful tips to offer before I begin? I noticed that in the "Looky Looky" post there was no mention of a spring compressor. I don't need one to remove the current strut assemblies (right?) but how about to install the D2s? The springs are loose and just sit on top of the spring perch or whatever they're called. Is it a fair assessment that there needs to be some preload on the springs before the car is lowered to the ground? The instructions for setting the height is not very intuitive (for me at any rate) either. According to their instructions, I must use their "upper holder" on these struts. By "upper holder" they are referring to what? The nut? I hope so because there isn't any other hardware with this kit except what came in the box and the bag so I'm assuming that I have to use stock parts if they didn't come in the box or bag.

I should be getting started shortly after I get those additional parts so keep tuned to this station in case I get into a fix. My projects tend to turn to crap on occasion and end up taking much longer than advertised. :crazy: Therefore I won't start until I have everything I need at hand. I have Autozone or Kragen stores to choose from. Do they generally sell the same brands or is one deemed better than the other in your opinions?

Karl

Coilovers may have not been the best choice if you're wishing to keep that height. If D2s are exactly like my Ksports, then the max height on them, would be just about an inch lower than what your pictures are right now. When I first installed my Ksports in the front, I had the spring perch about an inch from max height, and it still tucked my tires in the fender. Also, if you're going for any reasonable height, going from CSVT49s experience, the coils will be touching each other and will grind into each other.

As far as installation goes, like I said, if it's anything like my KSports, CKtour98 will have to chime in, then you will be using the OEM tops of what you have already on the car. And install will be pretty straight forward as it goes.

I'm sorta busy right now so I can't go into real good detail for installation. I'll come back if anyone hasn't chimed in yet

I have d2s and i used camber plates up top with no problems or issues....its pretty straightforward for installation. to adjust it you just hold one perch and loosen the other, and spin it to the desired height (hard to say how high/low it would be from just threads)

i can take photos if you need em

Thanks for the reply. I might be able to go with an inch lower but I'll just have to see what happens. If I can't live with it that low (I don't want to grind spring coils) I'll just have to get something else. I actually started to get cold feet a few weeks ago and looked in the classifieds to see if anyone wanted to buy a set of D2's but there wasn't anyone. So, I'll have a go at these and see what happens.

Karl

what would you want to sell them for, i have one of my d2 struts leaking and had to cut new threads on the other one cause they stripped out. both on the fronts too

the d2's are easy to install because they can be so much shorter and just pop right in, then expand them. the only thing i would add is to drop the rear adjusters into the struts before you install them. then check to see your clearance on top of the strut towers. i had to cut the openings on mine so that i could adjust them easily. granted this is on a cougar not a tour

I have d2s and i used camber plates up top with no problems or issues....its pretty straightforward for installation. to adjust it you just hold one perch and loosen the other, and spin it to the desired height (hard to say how high/low it would be from just threads)

i can take photos if you need em
Thanks for the reply. I see how the threaded shaft turns inside the hollow base and then those rings are used to lock the shaft when you get to the desired height. Someone on one of the other car sites figured how a certain distance up or down on the strut equated to a certain distance up or down on the car. Anyway, I guess it's sort of trial and error and a lot of measuring and adjusting to get the desired height.

My main concern is not having a problem with the front LCAs not dropping far enough or too far and having an axle pop out if an LCA drops too far. This should be interesting!

Karl

what would you want to sell them for, i have one of my d2 struts leaking and had to cut new threads on the other one cause they stripped out. both on the fronts too

the d2's are easy to install because they can be so much shorter and just pop right in, then expand them. the only thing i would add is to drop the rear adjusters into the struts before you install them. then check to see your clearance on top of the strut towers. i had to cut the openings on mine so that i could adjust them easily. granted this is on a cougar not a tour
Yes, I was just figuring that out - that I can adjust the struts to be real short to get them in place and then adjust them back out to set the ride height of the car. I've decided to keep them and install them for now.

Karl

Yeah, if you don't mind trial and error with the coilovers for desired height, then go ahead. Of course, there's only so much height you can get out of them.

And I will second what jaged said about putting the adjusters in the strut before you put them in the tower. You'll save yourself the trouble.

your not going to be any lower than you are now (unless you want to) with the D2's so I wouldnt worry about that.

your not going to be any lower than you are now (unless you want to) with the D2's so I wouldnt worry about that.

Thanks, that's good to know. I still need to gather up a few other parts including what I'll need to do the Nautilus big brake upgrade, I'll be able to start this task. I need to pay off some Christmas debt first though.
Karl

Back