• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

cracked bumper

kcobra

Veteran CEG'er
i picked up this bumper on the cheap and i need to fix this crack before i get the thing painted. any ideas

Attachments

• DSC00020.JPG
    DSC00020.JPG
    87.4 KB · Views: 0
Fiberglass it. I had to do the same thing for my bodykit when i broke a piece off. Try to snap it back in place and then use a fiberglass mat and resin on the back of the bumper, this would be the inside where no one an see it. Then bondo it on the outside and sand down.
Any body shop can do it, but its not a hard DIY. It takes a lot of time to get it nice.

You coul also cut it out and fill it the same way with fiberglass and bondo.

NEVER just use bondo, its not strong enough.

i second fiberglass ... the svt front bumper I got had to tears in it under the lip .. the shop used fiberglass to repair it

repair it from the inside with chopped mat and resin or chopped mat and Fusor 100EZ then fill from the outside area, block it and sand and then primer and paint...

it will look as good as new.

yup, pretty close to what I said. The main point it dont do something stupid to it. Read up on stuff like this. Go to Barnes and Noble and read the How To books. Take your time and make it nice, b/c people who are used to seeing cars up close and know what to look for will spot it.

repair it from the inside with chopped mat and resin or chopped mat and Fusor 100EZ then fill from the outside area, block it and sand and then primer and paint...

it will look as good as new.

Do you mean cats hair, the premixed resin and fiberglass or the real mat that you cut and place. Premixed is stronger then bonda but no where near as strong as the mat and resin.

real chopped mat... you can buy a package of it anywhere... strongest and best solution would be to cut that mat up in strips or squares and repair from the inside..

dremel away any of the broken frayed areas on the bumper... make sure your area is clear of debris so it will accept the bond.

get some Lords Fusor 100EZ and squeeze it out onto a piece of wax paper or something you can work on without it sticking... take a bondo squeegee and mix the 2 part epoxy up really good.

Lay your mat down over the crack and then take some of the fusor and put it onto the mat.. use the squeegee and get it flat and make sure the mat is 100% covered apply another piece of mat and then alittle more fusor until you essentially make a nice "plug" over the crack. allow to dry completely and then fill from the front with some light filler - if the crack is deep you can use the fusor 100EZ with a small bondo squeegee and apply just a itty bit into that crack making it level.. then sand a bit and fill...

When I bought my car there were large areas of the SVT bumper that were missing.. as in there were holes and chunks missing.. I used the above method and its better than ever and looks brand new.. also the fusor 100EZ will not shrink or expand like other materials.

Good Luck, you can do it yourself!

A good body shop can plastic weld that crack also... As long as there are no pieces missing. Some plastics cannot be welded effectively, but the composition of the factory covers on the tour are one of the easiest! I bought a bumper with a huge crack in it, and this is how they fixed mine. I was amazed at how well it turned out. And if you can't do it yourself, this method takes much less time to do (less time = less money). People use this method all the time. If done right it will be as strong as if the crack was never there. I have seen this used to repair canoe bottoms after they are pierced with rocks and stuff.

Back