• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

correct belt tension for supercharger

In regards to your fuel pump situation... I would recommend doing what I am doing and install a fuel tank sump kit. See my thread in the pic and vids forum under pic request of fuel tank clearance. Then run an external pump like an Aeromotive A1000. You won't be disappointed. I also can guarantee you won't have fuel spike issues.

Let me jump in. My 750 horse 427 sbc 87 Vette uses an a-1000 Aeromotive. Thats so way overkill for your car.

I have 300tq/300hp at the wheels With a vortech sc (3rd gen) 9 psi and an air to water cooler. #42 injectors. Its very simple. Use the stock pump in the tank and a $150 255 lph helper which is more like 300 lph with the stock pump feeding it. AFR's 11.5 from 20HP at the wheels in 4th gear, full throttle straight up to 300 on the dyno. So the stock lines and pump with a helper pump work fine. My E0 car has been this way for 4 years now except last year I ditched the FMU and went with a air to water cooler from frozenboost.com and had a dyno tune and just added the injectors. 7500 miles of beating it half to death, nothing has gone wrong.

Let me jump in. My 750 horse 427 sbc 87 Vette uses an a-1000 Aeromotive. Thats so way overkill for your car.

I have 300tq/300hp at the wheels With a vortech sc (3rd gen) 9 psi and an air to water cooler. #42 injectors. Its very simple. Use the stock pump in the tank and a $150 255 lph helper which is more like 300 lph with the stock pump feeding it. AFR's 11.5 from 20HP at the wheels in 4th gear, full throttle straight up to 300 on the dyno. So the stock lines and pump with a helper pump work fine. My E0 car has been this way for 4 years now except last year I ditched the FMU and went with a air to water cooler from frozenboost.com and had a dyno tune and just added the injectors. 7500 miles of beating it half to death, nothing has gone wrong.

The A1000 is what I'm running because I'm using E85, which for my application is not over kill as I'm feeding 1000cc injectors... now for his application yes it would be I was giving him an example of an external pump. Another good external pump is the Bosch 044, which is the pump that would suit his application.

As for your suggestion I'd strongly disagree with your recommendation. So what happens if one of the two pumps goes out?? Bad idea. Running one pump is the way to go period.

So to summarize... Get a sump, get a Bosch 044 pump, get proper filters, done.

Last edited:
You are right, however. Try to sump a plastic tank. Second. I've been a tech and a builder for 20 years. So my info is accurate. I wanted to tell him the cheapest route. I have it. Matter of fact I was at the track (road course) today and was running the balls off mine and zero fuel problems. Also when the tank pump goes bad, the second pump makes a bad noise.

You are right, however. Try to sump a plastic tank. Second. I've been a tech and a builder for 20 years. So my info is accurate. I wanted to tell him the cheapest route. I have it. Matter of fact I was at the track (road course) today and was running the balls off mine and zero fuel problems. Also when the tank pump goes bad, the second pump makes a bad noise.

Installing a sump on a plastic tank... Easy. Diesel trucks have been doing it for years. I just found this out recently myself and its very cheap to do. I don't doubt your background, but what I recommended is more robust and just as easy to install as two pumps. So that said why screw around.

i used the 2 pump thing on the stock vortech install with the fmu and stock injectors. it worked okay then now i have larger injectors and am not using the fmu. any other pump i feel like is going to be in the same situation. im interested in this sump kit. im kind of annoyed with this stupid ass problem.

Here you go, BDP Performance Fuel Sump

Pics of my components...

fuelpump1.jpg

filtersump.jpg

interesting. i did find that pic of the under tank. is that brass fitting the new output to rail? also junking hte stock fuel filter?

No. You will no longer have pumps in the fuel tank. That sump will feed a filter, which will then feed the external pump. From the pump the line will go to another filter and then a regulator, which will then feed the fuel rail. The regulator will also have a return line that will go back to the top hat at the top of the fuel tank.

Back