• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

code reader at Princess Auto

Friggen sweet!! I'll be heading there tomorrow to grab that. Some jerk wanted $100 (shop cost) to scan my car. My other guy charges $20.. I'm going to save some money after purchasing this.. Thanks for the heads up Chris!

Mike

Thanks for the heads up on the OBD 2 reader.

and just another FYI : princess Auto is also a great place to find dirt cheap brushes if you're doing a UIM/LIm cleaning.

Friggen sweet!! I'll be heading there tomorrow to grab that. Some jerk wanted $100 (shop cost) to scan my car. My other guy charges $20.. I'm going to save some money after purchasing this.. Thanks for the heads up Chris!

Mike

The real scanners that show real time data are very expensive. The one PA,CT, PartsSource sells are only code readers. I have one that I bought form ebay for $40 couple years ago and thats only a code reader too.

The Mac,Snap-On, etc. scanner are close to $3000, maybe more depending on the cost of the interface. So I'm not suprised that a shop is asking $100 for a detailed scan. They are not jerks, this is the cost of overhead and the scan you get form one of these is much better than what a code reader can offer.

With the code reader, it can point you in the right direction but at the same time it can lead you in the wrong way too. Make sure you understand that the reader is only a rough dignostic tool.

Oh, that I know. Its just that we use this guy soo often that scanning a car shouldn't cost that much. Why treat a repeat customer like that? I am a service manager at a RV business here in Kitchener and I give hand outs sometimes to repeats.. Speciall high volume repeats.

Anywho, I understand what you are saying and will take the "diagnostics" from this gaget with a grain of salt.

Thanks
Mike

I typically pay $20 to have my codes pulled with a detailed description of whats wrong. But since I have the error code chart for the contour I may drop on this one from Princess.

Back