• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Clucking sound

intravino

CEG'er
Hey Guys,

I have a clunking sound on the driver side since a a guy replaced my wheel bearing on the same side.

The sound dies when I press the brake.

Is this a CV joint ?

Or something lose?

Thanks,

Intravino

By all means check the bolts

By all means check the bolts

Yup, it could be any number of loose parts, tie rod nut (very handy for steering), ball joint clamp bolt, knuckle to strut clamp bolt, the caliper carrier bolts, the caliper bolts, the axel nut, or even something so simple as the spring on the caliper on incorrectly.

Whatever it is, check the above bolts and spring before you drive anywhere else. Your life could depend on it.

PS if it has a roll bar in the front, check those connections as well.

Compressor

Compressor

Thanks Guys, I will check that this weekend and I won't drive it.

One quick question:

How big does a compressor needs to be to work on suspensions ?

CFM, tank size ?

check the axle nut. if its loose the rotor will wobble around and possible scrap the caliper bracket, etc. make sure it torqued to 212 ft-lbs.

One quick question:

How big does a compressor needs to be to work on suspensions ?

CFM, tank size ?

most air tools need ~90 psi. the larger the tank the longer they will run before the tank has to refill.

as mentioned you don't need air tools to work on the suspension. It helps taking things apart and running bolts in or nuts down but they should be torque by hand in the end.

Found Problem

Found Problem

I found the problem, it was the ball joint. The goon service man, probably damaged the ball joint when he had to work on wheel bearing.

Imagine, he works at a Ford Dealer, I hope he just changes tires.

Thanks for your time Guys.

Now, I have to take out that bloody axle seal. :(

What a pain.

Back