• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Clay Bar

I just meant 'generic' as compared to a more niche brand like Zymol or Clay Magic is all. I just wasn't sure if there is any difference between a less expensive Mothers clay and slightly more expensive Clay Magic.

Here are some quotes from a forum i checked(about mothers vs clay magic bar)

clay bar wins!
i buy it at my local auto supplier.
You can use the blue or red bar.
the red bar is more abrasive.

Clay magic is cheaper (1/2 price), works just as well, and sticks to your hand so you can't drop it. It also had the added benefit of being blue.

don't you find that the Clay Magic blue bar leaves more residue? I find that it leaves residue even on my hands. But it does pick up more than the Mother's bar does.

I use clay magic's blue bar. I like it because it is really sticky. I've not noticed that it leaves any residue other than the spot it will leave if you stick it to your car and let it sit there. That is easily removed though. Clay Magic rules!

Yeah, I knew about the price difference, and if I lived in the US, I would use [COLOR=blue ! important][FONT=inherit ! important][COLOR=blue ! important][FONT=inherit ! important]CM[/FONT][/FONT][/COLOR][/COLOR], but in Canada, I bought a bar, 8 oz? for $38, and it comes with nothing but the clay. I can get the 4 oz Mother's kit with Showtime and some cleaner wax for $21, so Mother's wins hands down for value up here. Not to mention that I can get Mother's anywhere, and there is only 1 Clay Magic distributor here in Greater Vancouver.
sosad.gif

Walmart has the Mother's clay kit which includes clay,QD and cleaner wax for about $14 dollars. I believe the Mothers clay is easier to use and less messy. You will also like the shine from the QD Show time.

The main difference is deciding on using a Clay with [COLOR=blue ! important][FONT=inherit ! important][COLOR=blue ! important][FONT=inherit ! important]shampoo[/FONT][/FONT][/COLOR][/COLOR] or Clay and QD. Mothers states not to get their clay wet with water only use a QD.

good luck

BTW: I have not used the clay magic red bar

When buying locally, it's usually Clay Magic, blue bar. For one, the CM bar is bigger than Mother's and two, I don't need the cleaner wax and QD with Mother's, which drives the price up. CM has never left residue when I use it and I completely soak the bar in soap and water. It is definitely very sticky and does a decent job.

The Zaino bar is my favorite though, locally...can't go wrong with CM!

I have used Meguiar's, Mothers, and Clay Magic. Out of the three, I prefer the Clay Magic because it gives me the best combination of effectiveness and pliability.

I'm with Metallic Mike for the same reasons. I think the CM bar is a better deal, and a better bar. However, I like the Zaino bar better than those two. Then again, when I can find them, I really like the 3M bars the best.

I put comments here just incase someone cant enter that site, or just don't feel like loading a new page(slow connection/cell phone)

http://www.autopia.org/forum/car-detailing/14503-mothers-clar-bar-clay-magic-bar-2.html

Clay Magic Blue is pretty good, I prefer it over the other easily available brands. I currently use 3M Perfect-It III clay, but its far from a budget line clay ($48).

Head over to chemicalguys.com and browse their selection. I have not used their clay yet, but I have a ton of their products. IMO they make some of the best detailing supplies out there. Coupon code GOLD will save you 5%

Also, if you want to save some time.....I like to clay while I am washing. Just dump the clay in your wash bucket and clay each panel after you soap it up. Using the lube is a PITA

I've been really happy with Meguiars white clay that I have. Heck, even used it on the glass on the van today. It's been a while since it's been washed etc, and no matter how much scrubbing I did with the wash mit and soap the grit just would not come off, and since I was claying the rest of it anyway. Worked great and really made the glass nice and smooth again!

Back