• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

CD4e issue at Sprocket Driven Assembly

Mattyhawk

New CEG'er
As contour.org is really the best place for CD4E tranny questions, and since the forum rules won't allow me to put this question where it needs to be, I will try to keep this short and sweet. Hopefully someone can help.

I have a 2003 Ford Escape 4wd 110,000mi, CD4E transmission is in pretty much perfect working order except I started getting this acceleration vibration about 1 year ago. I replaced the drivers side CV axle with a reman. unit and it seemed to fix it for a time.

Within 2 months the vibration was back. I bought another CV axle and replaced the previous one. Couple weeks and there is the acceleration vibration again. I finally get under the car, get my wife to shift it from forward to reverse and find there is a huge amount of play (like 1mm) at the inner part of the CV spline where it goes into the transmission. It appears to be at the differential. After some trouble shooting I take it to a shop, they want $3200 to fix it. Ouch.

Fast forward to today. I have the CD4E sitting on the floor of my garage. I have checked the differential, it is within spec. There is a needle bearing assembly (part #7G355) at the Driven sprocket that has some play and will be replaced. Just tonight I noticed something alarming, the Driven Sproket (part # 7G132) inner bearing is shreaded. This is the pressed in bearing that the CV axle rides on. I took a caliper reading of it, the bearing ID is 1.293", the CV axle race is 1.149". That is quite a bit of play. See attached.

My question, is there a way to replace only the race? It is not a separate Ford part number. The Driven Sprocket is $350 new. Junk yard, who knows. That is a lot of money to replaced just the bearing. I don't understand how it got so far off. The tranny shop wasn't sure either. I wonder if the fuild port to the bearing is clogged or something else not getting fluid in there.

Also, anyone know what the ID measurement of the Driven Sprocket bearing is originally?

Thank ahead of time.

Attachments

• photo-1..JPG
    photo-1..JPG
    96.1 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
I mean to bring bad news. But someone correct me if I'm wrong. (there's a 80% chance that I am wrong)

The 'tour/'stique is a CD4E platform, not a tranny. The trans in these cars is MTX-75. Or am I wrong, or is it close? LOL

The 'tour/'stique is a CD4E platform, not a tranny. The trans in these cars is MTX-75. Or am I wrong, or is it close? LOL

I'm sorry, but I don't follow. The CD4E was in the contour and Mistique til 2000.

I mean to bring bad news. But someone correct me if I'm wrong. (there's a 80% chance that I am wrong)

Hehe Our platform is CDW27, CD4E is the Automatic 4 speed tranny found in all Automatic Contiques, Cougars, Euro Mondeos, some Mazdas and much more. MTX-75 is our Manual tranny.

Hehe Our platform is CDW27, CD4E is the Automatic 4 speed tranny found in all Automatic Contiques, Cougars, Euro Mondeos, some Mazdas and much more. MTX-75 is our Manual tranny.

SEE. I told you I might've been wrong by 80%. At least I knew it was CD-something....right? knowing that, I'm sure someone here could help you out or you could check the stickies in the Transmission section.

SEE. I told you I might've been wrong by 80%. At least I knew it was CD-something....right? knowing that, I'm sure someone here could help you out or you could check the stickies in the Transmission section.

Oh, that's ok, i just didn't understand the "The 'tour/'stique is a CD4E platform, not a tranny." part. Unfortunately, this has not been discussed that I can find. If there is a duiscussion about this I missed and you have a link, that would be very helpful.

cd4e is a transmission type

cd4e is a transmission type

If you have an auto in your escape, then it is indeed a cd4e with enhancements to allow for 4 wheel drive. Don't think we are going to be of much help here as we typically only have experience with the 2wd CD4e, a different animal altogether.

Well, the difference between a CD4E with 4wd and a CD4e is basically the same with a transfer case bolted on the side of the output shaft between the passenger side intermediate shaft and the tranny. Thanks anyways.

Not a race, rather a bushing. That bushing can be changed. BTDT...............look for it at major trans parts distributors like Transtar. I thought it odd too that Ford would have a needle bearing on one end and bushing on other, but that's how they designed it. More load on bearing end, ergo the true bearing. All the rest of stuff in there mostly bushing, even the differential load axes , I remember changing like 25 of them when rebuilding mine.

FYI the surface running against bushing must be super smooth, if not, fine sandpaper or other until no highspots at all or bushing el destructo in short order again. Any slight ding can make that type damage.

Back