• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Catalytic Converter

you can get a cat from advance autoparts for 275 bucks for a direct fit magnaflow.

I hollowed my cat out though and it runs a hell of a lot better.

i should say it runs a hell of a lot better considering my O2 sensor is no go, so i have it unplugged, so i couldnt even imagine how well it'd run with a good O2 sensor.

I'm gutting the cat on my MTX as soon as it gets warm. I've already got a MIL so why not?

With my CAI, UDP, FPR, and a walbro, it should make a fun daily driver.

BTW, WI doesn't have a sniffer test, just a OBD-2 test. ;)

BP

Michigan has NO emissions testing.

:D :D :D

you can get a cat from advance autoparts for 275 bucks for a direct fit magnaflow.

I hollowed my cat out though and it runs a hell of a lot better.

My Low Dollar/Anti-Environment Righty Brother said the same thing. I'm gonna get a new one and new o2 sensor as well...........................=)

no emissions check here in OK either so i'm probly gonna gut my cat and remove my res soon...want headers too:laugh: does anyone know if the DIY MIL elliminator on the forum really works? i'm an electronic tech so it won't be a prob for me to do this if it does work.

no emissions check here in OK either so i'm probly gonna gut my cat and remove my res soon...want headers too:laugh: does anyone know if the DIY MIL elliminator on the forum really works? i'm an electronic tech so it won't be a prob for me to do this if it does work.

Just do a search on the forums. There's a schematic floating around. It's just a resistor and a cap. $2 at raidoshack. I'd also suggest that once you solder it all up, use some of that outdoor electrical tape that fuses together to cover it. That will make it perfectly water tight.

HTH,
BP

Just do a search on the forums. There's a schematic floating around. It's just a resistor and a cap. $2 at raidoshack. I'd also suggest that once you solder it all up, use some of that outdoor electrical tape that fuses together to cover it. That will make it perfectly water tight.

HTH,
BP

yes, i have read all of that, and even printed it off, have electronic components at home cuz i'm an electronic tech...i was just wondering if it acctually works...correctly i mean. ie does it ever cause probs later or anything?

Now i understand why all the online deals for o2 sensors are from back east...on the west coast, they cant keep enough of in stock...everything that I want is 49 state legal!!!

i was just wondering if it acctually works...correctly i mean. ie does it ever cause probs later or anything?

They work perfectly. I've had one on my MTX now for 7k miles and no CEL and it runs like a champ.

The PCM just uses the lower 02 sensor as a check to see of the cat is working. It doesn't play a role in any fuel/timing decisions by the PCM.

HTH,
BP

I didn't really wanna start a new thread...I have the SVT though with the V6, is it still safe/doesn't hurt the car in any way if I gut the cat? inspection here is just a visual so as long as the pipe is there and they don't have x ray goggles i'll be fine.

I didn't really wanna start a new thread...I have the SVT though with the V6, is it still safe/doesn't hurt the car in any way if I gut the cat? inspection here is just a visual so as long as the pipe is there and they don't have x ray goggles i'll be fine.
You will need to install mileliminators or the Check Engine Light will be on and they will fail the car for bad cats.

I hate to resurect an old thread but how do you gut a cat? I took out the cat in my explorer and when I went to gut the thing, its near impossible. I tried hittind the suff out with a hammer and it won't budge. Any ideas on how to get the stuff out of there? If nothing else I will just throw a pipe under there as I don live in a emissions testing state nor do I plan to. My cat is the charcoal screen-type material, as I believe all Fords are.

Back