• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Burning/loosing oil

Muhiii

New CEG'er
Hello guys!

My car is probably burning oil. Right now, i would guess it is around 1L/2000-2500km. Basicaly, after every trip where i enjoy the ride, i have to fill it a little bit. The question is, what is the most common component on these engines to let oil past? I am for sure not leaking oil on the ground. When i open filler hole, i can smell burnt oil, so maybe 5w-30 is too thin? No blue smoke from exhaust, just little black-ish when you rev it hard.
Owner before me was using 5w-40 and i started using Formula 5w-30 from Ford. Some ppl use 5w-40 but i dont know why.

So far what i have googled, someone says it can be around piston rings or around lifters. Are there any symptoms how could i find out what it is? Or any tips or tricks from experienced contour ppl? Some aditives or just thicker oil?

- I have mondeo ST200 but there isnt that big and active forum for mondeos :(

ruwfo

CEG'er
Is the car leaving you oil stains on your parking spot, it's got to be, or your rings or valve seals are worn.
Do or have a compression test done, that will tell you more.