• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Brake lights stuck on

lehmancb

Be Gentle I'm New Here
Can someone please tell me which relay controls my brake lights, they are stuck on and I need to replace the relay I think...

I drive a 1995 Ford Contour GL, manual, 24V

of course the guy I bought it off of didn't have the owners manual, any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

I already checked the switch and it is fine, I unplugged the battery and plugged it back in and noe the lights are off. I think the relay is sticking.

There is no relay in the stoplamp circuit.

Power from the brake on/off (BOO) switch goes directlly to the high-mount stop lamp (HMSL) and to the multifunction switch (MFS) for integration with the flasher logic.

If the HMSL is also staying on, your fault is in the BOO switch.

If only the corners are staying on, the problem is in either the flasher or the MFS.

Steve

I had this same problem, it wasn't the clicker, or it was but my tranny mechanic (had the tranyn replaced) was able to fix it using a zip-tie here and there to hold the brake in a good position.

FYI stay away from Neihoff brake switches, their ALL defective out of the box.. the second you depress the trigger, it stays that way..

Back