• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Boosting a Zetec, is the exhaust layout the same as the Focus Zetec?

ZX2Fast

CEG'er
I've been looking at turbo manifolds and downpipes and I find plenty for the Focus Zetec but none for the Contour Zetec. I know the ZX3 uses the MTX-75 but that doesn't exactly mean the oil pan and lower block are the same, now does it? I've found some decent looking turbo manifolds with downpipe and waste gate dump on Ebay and would rather use those instead of trying to fab something up as I don't want a lot downtime on this car. I looked through the FAQ but everything is about the V6 and even the registry looks like all V6 cars.

So, to sum it up, I need to know if I can use the downpipe from a ZX3 manual tranny turbo kit on a Contour manual tranny car. I'm not too concerned about the exhaust as any shop could fab up a 2.5" for me for a couple hundred bucks.

no, the Focus oil pan has the pass through for the Exhaust near the trans while the Contour has it near the passenger side. you cannot swap oil pans because the Focus pan will not clear the subframe.

where in IN are you located? I made a custom setup for my old pre98 Zetec and i could do the same for you if you are interested (of course cost depends on what you want done).

I live in Anderson, less than half an hour north of Indy on I-69. I'm not certain yet if I want to put the turbo below the exhaust manni (not much room there for the radiator) or move the battery and put the turbo there. I've already got a Focus Zetec exhaust manni I can drill out and a T25 turbo from a 1st gen Eclipse GSX. I would rather put the turbo below the exhaust manni if I can get away with that. I know I can wire in a slim fan but I want to avoid moving or replacing the radiator. Do you have pictures of your old set-up or any pictures of a turbo on a Zetec Contour?

This is the only picture i have that sort of shows how close it is to the radiator fan. it does fit, but its pretty close and a turbo blanket would help to make sure it doesnt melt the fan shroud. keep in mind its a T3 turbo with an external wastegate. I also used an adapter pipe so there was a takeoff point for the wastegate, this made it sit a little lower and a little closer to the fan.

Picture012.jpg

That is really close. I would be using the internal gate that is already on the turbo so that would help me. The manni you have there looks like the stock one. Did you just drill it out to accept the T3 flange?

it is a stock Focus Zetec manifold so it has a 3-bolt flange. what i did was take a 2nd manifold and cut off the flange, turned it upside down, welded on a short piece of pipe with a T3 flange welded to the other end. in the middle i cut a hole and welded on a pipe with flange for the Tial wastegate. since you are planning on using an internal wastegate you could take the same Focus manifold (can be had for less than $30 typically), cut off the flange and weld on the flange for the turbo. this would raise it up and bring it closer to the block a little bit which should give a little bit more clearance for the fan.

I picked up a Focus exhaust manni months ago and it is sitting on the shelf. I have a SCT PRP already and would just need to buy another Xcal to tune the Contour with. I know on the returnless fuel system (in my ZX2) we have to upgrade the fuel pump (use Mustang GT/Focus SVT pump) and it looks as if this pump should fit into the 98 Contour basket. Do you know if this is true? I would guess I could just use any old 1:1 pressure rise FPR on the Contour. Also, from what I know of the MTX75, 200ish or less WHP shouldn't kill it, right? I'm sure I won't like the torque steer but these do have 4 spider gears in the diff, don't they?

what fuel system is your 98? return or returnless? if its a return system, then get a Walbro pump. if its returnless then get the Ford GT (supercar) pump as the FSVT pump isnt actually an upgrade (its the same as the standard 03-04 Focus Zetec pump and only ~155lph). for the FPR, if the car is a return system, then pick up an aeromotive AFPR for a Mustang GT (there is a post by ButtonPuncher around here somewhere with a part number), it will bolt on and is a 1:1 rising rate FPR. if its a returnless system then you will have to figure out how to adjust the fuel pressure in the PCM since the pump does not receive a constant 12v (its either pulse width modulated or variable voltage to control the fuel pressure, i cant remember which). the only issue with the trans is the diff IF the diff was made in 98 or newer. if the diff was made in 97 or older than it can take whatever the stock bottom end of the Zetec will be able to handle. I would highly recommend getting an LSD in either case but the pre98 diff will hold up fine (the 98+ diff has been known to grenade with even stock SE Duratec power levels).

That sucks about the diff, it is a 1/98 car. A lot of ZX2 guys have been using the SVTF fuel pump with the green top and it flows 215lph according to Walbro (they make them) and Ford. I know what Areomotive FPR you are talking about, I've looked at them before. The car has the return style fuel system on it.

I was really hoping I didn't have to spend a grand on a damn LSD for this car. That might be a deal breaker for boosting the Contour. I guess I could just not launch it and put a roll restrictor on it (I have a universal hydrolic one) and hope for the best.

some of the early 98 cars got pre98 diffs so i would recommend checking to see when the one in your car was made. its pretty easy to check, just pull the shift tower and look at the back of the diff for a 2 digit date code (such as 97 or 98). if you cant see a date code just rotate the diff (spinning the wheels by hand should work) until you see the date.

as for the fuel pumps, they have been tested and are nowhere near a 215lph pump. read this thread on FocalJet as it has tested flow numbers as well as part numbers (from Steve at Tousely Ford).
http://forums.focaljet.com/forced-induction-nitrous/526808-zx3-vs-svt-fuel-pumps.html

After reading that thread the Zetec pump is good to 300 whp. Since I don't care to make over 200 whp I think I'll be okay with the pump I have now or the Focus Zetec pump if need be.

After reading that thread the Zetec pump is good to 300 whp. Since I don't care to make over 200 whp I think I'll be okay with the pump I have now or the Focus Zetec pump if need be.

the Focus Zetec pump is meant for a returnless fuel system. since you have a return system you cant use it. I would recommend getting a Walbro pump and the AFPR.

And a diff won't be $1k, a torsen is about $550 shipped from Tousley and is good for a ton of HP, though not quite as much as the $1k quaife.

I wasn't aware Ford made a LSD for the MTX-75. I would also be needing any parts for the transmission once I re-assemble it. For example, I have to buy new input and output shaft nuts for the tranny in the ZX2 whenever it is taken apart. From the looks of the exploded diagram, dis-assembling this MTX-75 might make me mad enough to punch a baby.

I wasn't aware Ford made a LSD for the MTX-75. I would also be needing any parts for the transmission once I re-assemble it. For example, I have to buy new input and output shaft nuts for the tranny in the ZX2 whenever it is taken apart. From the looks of the exploded diagram, dis-assembling this MTX-75 might make me mad enough to punch a baby.

Torsen + new bearings cost me about $625, installed myself. No other parts should be needed besides a shim kit. YOu can also put a phantom grip in instead as well. I think they are 250$.

The mtx75 is not that bad to take apart and reassemble. Had both g5m apart and the mtx75 and I would rather work on an MTX75. The MTX75 is infinitely a better transmission.

From the focus forums the Torsen is good to around 500hp or so. Nobody has broken a Quaife and they have a lifetime warranty anyway. I think the Torsen can transfer a bit more power to one wheel or the other but in my opinion the Quaife has always pulled straight off the line and into the corners smoother. I have driven a few cars with Torsen diffs that still dove toward the ditch when you floored it off the line. I don't know if that can be contributed to install (shimming it correctly).

Back