• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Blown Fuse

svttouruofl

CEG'er
I have a high powered Panasonic HU that is producing 31 watts rms per channel and any time that I turn the volume up over 3/4 of the way I blow my interior light fuse. Why this fuse and not the radio's fuse. I have correctly connected everything and have double checked the connections as well. I have bypassed the factory amp so I know that it is not causing this. The HU itself has a 15A fuse while the fuse that continues to blow is only 7.5A. Is it safe to put a larger fuse in its location? Should I run the power source wires to a different fuse that is rated higher and if I do will it cause to much strain on it. Any help would be great.

Last edited:
"The HU itself has a 15A fuse while the fuse that continues to blow is only 7.5A. Is it safe to put a larger fuse in its location?"
No.

"Should I run the power source wires to a different fuse that is rated higher"
Yes.

Check if the wires behind the fuse box are cross feeding (or shorting).

Fuse diagram here.
http://www.contour.org/ceg-vb/showthread.php?t=3807&highlight=fuse+diagram

Oh, and Welcome to the site.

Last edited:
The back of the HU should have a fuse. that 15A fuse is twice the size of the fuse you are trying to draw your power from.

I'd run your HU to a larger fuse, but not a HUGE fuse just to avoid blowing.. You don't want to get TOO big, or else it won't blow when you need it to.

I've checked the fuses behind the fuse box and none of them are crossfeeding. And as for the fuses go...I keep blowing #34. #32 is labeled as radio but is that going to the HU or to the factory amp. If it goes to the amp couldn't I run the power wire to that fuse location and replace the 7.5 with a 15? If its not in use?

I used the power seat fuse socket, which was unoccupied (no power seat). I plugged in the yellow constant power lead there. Look for something like that, or run a new wire to the battery.

I've checked the fuses behind the fuse box and none of them are crossfeeding. And as for the fuses go...I keep blowing #34. #32 is labeled as radio but is that going to the HU or to the factory amp. If it goes to the amp couldn't I run the power wire to that fuse location and replace the 7.5 with a 15? If its not in use?

Not adviseable. I know it says radio, but there are other items on that fuse and if you just replace it with say a 15 amp, then you can cause damage to those other components. Just run another wire with an inline fuse and you will solve your problem.

Dont even connect your amp to the fuse box. Big mistake. What you should do is run it hot to the battery and buy a fuse holder and a high power fuse. It could also be your wires are to small. If its a high power amp then you need 4 or 6 gauge wire for the hot.

I just thought of one thing. The next time Fuse 34 blows. Turn on your headlights. Then go to the back and check if you rear lamps are on. If they are not, then your headlamp switch is the problem.

Headlamp switch info here.
http://www.contour.org/ubbthreads/s...ld=1year&Main=1172187&Search=true#Post1172316

and how to in Autozone link.
http://www.autozone.com/servlet/UiB..._us/0900823d/80/1b/d1/17/0900823d801bd117.jsp

Edit. The dimmer switch also has been known to affect the radio (or vice versa). Check that too.

Last edited:
Ok first of all the amp is build into the HU. I am not running an external amp off of the fuse. I'm not that retarded. But as for the headlight and tail lamp thing goes I'll check that. I might just go out and crank it up it blow the fuse to check all of that.

Back