• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

best place for paint touch up?

loggerbomb

Hard-core CEG'er
i got some rust i need touched up on my rear driver side fender. I tried to touch it up myself, did fine for a while but now its come back and i think i need someone else to do it. Does anyone know a good place around the KW area that does touch ups? I was looking at maaco, but ive heard some bad things bout them and not sure if they even do minor touch ups.

That would be a quarter panel. They are part of the unibody and can't be swapped like fenders. If the metal is unrecoverable, it needs to be cut out and new sheet metal needs to be welded on. There are a lot of places that will offer this cheap, but beware because it's hard to do right and rust can come back very quickly.

Hey -- I started to have the same problem w/ my 'tour, I ended up using this bondo ruberizer in my wheel wells and around the lip it seems to have slowed the problem quite a bit. You get the the stuff from canadian tire for about 10 bucks. Of course this is a preventitive move...

As a sight aside, any recomendations on where to get your car rustproofed? I heard the Krown is pretty good, however is it worth the extra dollars?

i get my done at midas, other than the quarter panel area which was rusting before i got it taken there, they do good, I always took my old corolla there and never got any rust, but they know me there pretty well and dont skimp on the spray.

Krown is very good. I had it done the first winter with my 95 Contour, but not the second. Through the first winter with Krown, the car did not noticeably degrade further. It is a lubricant which helped smooth out the ride a bit, I believe. The second winter without Krown, the degradation was what I consider to be normal for an 11 year old car.

I know a few mechanics whom drive pristine stock early 90's cars that swear by it, and their cars are proof of it for me.

The problem with Krown is that it drips for a day or two after the treatment. It can be hosed off pretty easily though.

If you use it for five years and spend $600, I bet you'll have saved upwards of $2000 in wear and tear -- my guess, I have no idea what their estimates are, but they are probably here: http://www.krown.com

i got some rust i need touched up on my rear driver side fender. I tried to touch it up myself, did fine for a while but now its come back and i think i need someone else to do it. Does anyone know a good place around the KW area that does touch ups? I was looking at maaco, but ive heard some bad things bout them and not sure if they even do minor touch ups.

Sorry for the late answer on this.

If it's been rusting for more than a couple of months it wouldn't really be considered a minor touch up. At minimum it will need to be ground out and blown in.
But if you're still looking for a touch up guy, go to one of your local "big name" dealership used cars departments and ask them who they use for minor repairs.

There a plenty of mobile companies that will come to you and do minor repairs on the spot.

Back