• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Best mods for MPG w/out losing too much "fun"?

L00fah

CEG'er
As the title says, I'm hoping to increase MPG without sacrificing too much from the fun factor of driving (RPM/HP/Etc., fun stuff).
As of now, I average maybe 20-27mpg and I'd like to bump it up, if only by 3-4mpg... I use this vehicle daily, it's my main driving car (even between pleasure cruises and daily business) and it's beginning to hurt my bank account to fill it once a week... Sometimes twice.
I understand most of the users here tweak their cars for racing or power... But, I'm confident that you guys can help me with this.

Presently I'm running with a stock zetec engine. To the best of my knowledge, not one thing has been replaced or upgraded (spare for the alternator, I did that though, not the previous owner).
And please, no "lulz by a hibred newb" comments, please. I'm going to college this fall, no money for a new car.

Any help?

PS. Sorry if this is the wrong section. D:

You can probably up the gas mileage a few MPG's just by changing the way you drive. I think 27 is pretty damn good. I averaged 24 on the last tank of gas in my CSVT.

No I get that. I meant to post that... 20-27 depending on how I drive. But it isn't that good for me, honestly.

And what's UPD? Sorry, newbie here. have to ease up on acronyms around me. haha

No I get that. I meant to post that... 20-27 depending on how I drive. But it isn't that good for me, honestly.

And what's UPD? Sorry, newbie here. have to ease up on acronyms around me. haha

UDP= Under Drive Pulley.

btw, the Zetec typically gets about 30-32 MPG on the highway with an MTX. the ATX, IIRC, is around 28-30 on the highway.

Under drive pulley, seach google for "under drive pulley wiki" for general information. On my zetec atx I tend to get around 25ish avg, driving in the UP I get around 30. That being said gutting the catalytic converter, replacing muffler+resonator, and a short ram intake or 'sleeperz' type intake should boost that higher.

Like Smokinjoe said try adjusting your driving to the extreme, and once you find a maintainable habit pull fuses #4 and #11 for around 10 minutes to clear your ECU. This will delete any stored codes and will make the ECU relearn the fuel map. The first summer I had my car I couldn't pull more than 20mpg until I cleared the fuses, where it rose to 25.

maintinence would be the best option.

stricker2 said:
btw, the Zetec typically gets about 30-32 MPG on the highway with an MTX. the ATX, IIRC, is around 28-30 on the highway.

I wish I saw 30-32 mpg. must be pretty flat where you are .... best I ever saw was 32 but it was pure highway driving. best normally was around 27 mpg, right now its ~24.

maintinence would be the best option.

I wish I saw 30-32 mpg. must be pretty flat where you are .... best I ever saw was 32 but it was pure highway driving. best normally was around 27 mpg, right now its ~24.

thats why i specified on the highway. mixed at all and it was around 26-28. i regularly got 30-32 on my trips between Louisville and Chicago, but that was pure highway and took a whole tank of gas.

Think of it this way. If you put $1000 of parts on your car to get a few more MPG, you going to have to drive a LOOOONG time for said parts to pay for themselves. Probably far more than the life of the car.

Think of it this way. If you put $1000 of parts on your car to get a few more MPG, you going to have to drive a LOOOONG time for said parts to pay for themselves. Probably far more than the life of the car.
All depends if said parts only affect mileage and not also fun. UDP, Intake, and Exhaust all add HP and for the latter two volume.

pull fuses #4 and #11 for around 10 minutes to clear your ECU. This will delete any stored codes and will make the ECU relearn the fuel map. The first summer I had my car I couldn't pull more than 20mpg until I cleared the fuses, where it rose to 25.
Is that seriously safe?? Doesn't sound like it would be.
I'll have to try that.

Ok, so what I've got so far...
Exhaust, UDP (yay I know what it means!), short ram intake, cat converter, driving, and resetting the ECU.
Looks like I have a cool little stable of upgrades to drop on my car.

Assuming I upgrade everything for one grand and I only have to refuel once every two weeks, I could save close to $500 a year.
That pays itself off in two years... Which is significantly less than the remainder of my car's life. <<

Is that seriously safe?? Doesn't sound like it would be.
I'll have to try that.

Ok, so what I've got so far...
Exhaust, UDP (yay I know what it means!), short ram intake, cat converter, driving, and resetting the ECU.
Looks like I have a cool little stable of upgrades to drop on my car.
It simply resets the ECU to factory fuel maps and deletes stored codes. Completely safe as long as your car does not have a serious engine problem that is causing a code. If your battery is unhooked for the same amount of time the same thing will happen.

I wouldn't spend $1000 just to improve your mileage a bit. If you plan on keeping the car repair what is broken and enjoy the vehicle. If you don't plan on keeping the car for some time save that $ and put it toward a better replacement.

Do the cheap and free stuff first...

Clean your MAF. Look for my post in the Zetec Maintenance forum.

Replace your spark plugs. Get some Autolit Double plats. There was just a post in this forum with the correct part number.

Replace your fuel filter.

Gut your catalytic converter. You can only do this if your state doesn't have a sniffer test for emissions. Most don't now. They just do an ODB-2 scan. You will also need a MIL emilinator.

Next move onto the more expensive stuff. Like the guys said above, CAI, UDP, Cougar SS header.

HTH,
BP

Speaking of gutting the cat does any one have the spec sheet for building the MIL? I would rather not spend $15 on $3 worth of components.\

Wait found a pic from the archives.
The resistor is a 1mega ohm and the capacitor is 1micro farad. Is this correct for the zetec?

Intake, exhaust, pullies, CAI, but do the routine maintenance stuff first. Often a basic tune up makes a world of difference. And yes clear the computer out. I do that whenever I do anything to upgrade or tune up my car. Just disconnect the negative battery cable for a little over a half hour and you're good. 0 reason to go messing with the fuse box when you can just do that. Unless you absolutely had to keep your station presets or something...

Although honestly if you are THAT concerned about mileage just do the basic tune up and drive it conservatively. You'll be shocked how much longer a tank lasts if you keep your foot out of it. I'm not saying don't have fun, but you do not have to blow through the gears every time you leave from a stop light lol.

Already did a tune up, just two months ago, I actually got those exact spark plugs. Aaaand... I forgot the other thing I was going to say... Fuel filter I don't think I did yet.
And I'm a pretty conservative driver, I seldom do pleasure driving. Maybe two times a week. But it'd be nice to keep the fun stuff.
I found a ton of those parts, so I'm going to see if I can get them before summer. :)

Intake, exhaust, pullies, CAI, but do the routine maintenance stuff first. Often a basic tune up makes a world of difference. And yes clear the computer out. I do that whenever I do anything to upgrade or tune up my car. Just disconnect the negative battery cable for a little over a half hour and you're good. 0 reason to go messing with the fuse box when you can just do that. Unless you absolutely had to keep your station presets or something...

Although honestly if you are THAT concerned about mileage just do the basic tune up and drive it conservatively. You'll be shocked how much longer a tank lasts if you keep your foot out of it. I'm not saying don't have fun, but you do not have to blow through the gears every time you leave from a stop light lol.

There's nothing wrong with pulling the fuses....All it does is reset the PCM. I don't see why you guys have such a problem with that. :confused:

There's nothing wrong with pulling the fuses....All it does is reset the PCM. I don't see why you guys have such a problem with that. :confused:

Very true. Messing with the battery can go bad. I'd much rather just yank the PCM fuse. It's the odd ball of the group too. I think its light blue 7.5A fuse. Very easy to pick out.

Speaking of gutting the cat does any one have the spec sheet for building the MIL? I would rather not spend $15 on $3 worth of components.\

Wait found a pic from the archives.
The resistor is a 1mega ohm and the capacitor is 1micro farad. Is this correct for the zetec?

Zetec, Duratec, 4.6L V8...doesn't matter. A MIL eliminator is a MIL eliminator. BTW, the reason that I buy the pre-made MIL eliminators is that they are cast in epoxy so water can't get in. As soon as you drive through a heavy rain or car wash, an unprotected MIL eliminator will flake out. Either that or it will corrode over time and fail.

BP

Back