• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Bad rotors .... Feels like 'ripple' brakes .....

warren

New CEG'er
We are hearing about all this rotor trouble, brakes that feel like a corregated tin roof when you step on them. The only way to remedy this is to either have the rotors turned, or buy them new. Turning is fine as long as they're not too worn. Far cheaper to have them turned, put in new pads and away you go.
Most of this 'ripple' brakes and bad rotors is caused by too much slamming down on the brakes, rushing up to stop signs at full speed, jamming and driving like idiots. If you drive this way, you can expect to have rotor trouble, no doubt about it.
I drive like the truckers do... watch the stop signs well ahead, slack up on the gas let the car ease down in speed, using the brakes nice and easy if it comes to that. I rarely stop for signals and this is a great way to save on gas because every time you have to start up from scratch, you are losing MPG pure and simple. Everything is about choices folks ..........
warren

?? But what fun is that?

Life is about choices, if we didn't want a performance vehicle we would have bought a prius, or some electric vehicle.

I prefer to slam on the brakes and have some fun, then pay $60 for new rotors every 3 years. My choice is fun.

By the way, if it matters I am 51 years old.

Don't buy cheap rotors. The Contour, in my experience, is very sensitive to rotor run out. Cheap rotors just are not in tolerance, which causes a a pulsing brake pedal. The cheap rotors will also tend to rust to the hub. Quality North American made rotors do not do this.

So as always don't cheap out on brakes and, imho, they will be fine. And yes I alternate between braking hard and fast and more gradual.

Worn out front caliper bushings can also cause this feeling, and they are a lot cheaper and easier to replace. There is a blurb in the BAT catalog about this.

Back