• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Anybody keep their downstream O2 sensors?

but there must be some threshold distance beyond which the accuracy of the sensor is grossly off.

maybe but I am not so sure about that. the dyno said my a/f was right around 12.5~12.2 at the tailpipe which is what I have data logged from the wideband ... I also don't have any cats on the car at the moment.

maybe but I am not so sure about that. the dyno said my a/f was right around 12.5~12.2 at the tailpipe which is what I have data logged from the wideband ... I also don't have any cats on the car at the moment.

glad it worked out for you. :) TechEdge claims that the wideband can be "too cool" to get good readings if it is more than 60" (1.5m) from the turbine. not having a cat in the way helps, i'm sure.

i just finished installing my flex pipe after painting over the welds with hi-temp primer. wouldn't you know, the guy put the bungs on the wrong side. :blackeye: at least i could still fit the sensors in the bungs... barely.

I moved my bank 1 O2 in my SHM's from the cylinder #2 primary to after the collector. Does that count? :cool:

Personally, I'd be surprised if there is any difference in accuracy.

When you move the O2 you have to recalibrate the signal timing meaning that in the software the injectors is reading pulses and they really need to be reset the new length from the port. But I do agree that the O2 would be better to be located in the collector but your motor should be less then 5% difference between cylinders or you have bigger problems. joey

glad it worked out for you. :) TechEdge claims that the wideband can be "too cool" to get good readings if it is more than 60" (1.5m) from the turbine. not having a cat in the way helps, i'm sure.

i just finished installing my flex pipe after painting over the welds with hi-temp primer. wouldn't you know, the guy put the bungs on the wrong side. :blackeye: at least i could still fit the sensors in the bungs... barely.

Wish you would not have bought another sensor I think the relocations was the best solution but I am glad you are keeping your head up and making this right. I will bend over backwards for anyone who will take the time you have and make it right is needed. Let me know when you have this done I am ready to see the results. joey

Extending sensor wires

Extending sensor wires

By relocating the downstream sensor from before the cat to after the cat, I will need to extend the wires. I have read on a couple of forums that a harness is required to extend the sensor wires because the wire splicing will result in bad sensor readings. The only harness I can find is the one that Mustang owners use. I suppose it should work but I won't know if the plugs fit perfect until I try it out. Has anybody tried splicing the oxygen sensors?

aircougar performance has made a number of mil-eliminators that splice into the wires of the O2 sensor. as far as I know there have been no issues.

that is basically splicing into the wires and although I have never checked readings before and after no one has noted any problems.

Now that I have both downstream sensors installed in the stock exhaust, will the P1000 go away? Or is the P1000 there unless the sensors are re-enabled in the tune?

XCal users: is there a way to check which emissions monitors have or haven't been run? That would tell me which test is preventing the P1000 from clearing.

if you are on a stock tune then after the O2 sensor monitor runs that will be good. for the P1000 to go away all self tests have to run and there is one that doesn't run that often. best to get a scanner that can show you the test status.

Closure

Closure

To bring closure to this thread, I'm posting the results of my emissions test: PASSED. I don't know how many monitoring systems were incomplete, but I do know both the EGR and the lower catalyst monitors were disabled in the tune, resulting in a permanent P1000 DTC.

Back