• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Any help

Charles

CEG'er
I was talkin to my exaust guy about putting in a turbo in the rear of my car I would like to know what size cause I found a couple of them at the junk yard. I have the contour svt v6 5 speed and if anybody has pics of a turbo installed on there car that would help my guy big time so any pics and inputs would be greatly apreciated

I'm planning on doing this in the spring time was going to keep it on the DL but i'll post what knowledge i have of the setups and others can chime in on things i've missed.

You will need to do some turbo research to see what size would work best for these cars as a junkyard one prob wont do the trick. a great way to educate yourself is the turbo tech on Garrett's website. I would recomend setting a HP goal and finding a charger that fits within that goal while leaving you some positive room to grow. I'm guessing you are not building the bottom end at all and boosting svt's is new to me but I dont see very many running past 10lbs..most of the time sticking near 7. Too large of a charger will take too long to get there even with the remote factor and the quick spool up they are known for. A small charger will leave you no room to advance HP wise as they it would only be good to to a certain level and then just blow hot air after exceeded. You will also need too look at where it will be mounted. Is it below the oil level in the case? If so, you will need an electric scavenge pump to return the oil to the crank case and lines to feed and return as well. The wastegate I have'nt looked into yet, and am curious as to what others think. You could run an internally gated charger, but most of the time those are factory sized, smaller setups that will really prob only net you small gains. After you get all that figured out, you need a tune asap.

As you can see there is a lot more than just bolting it up and boostin'. And, chances are if you found a turbo at the junkyard it's too small and prob needing rebuilt. As far as I know, and others I've talked to no-one has done this yet, as i've never seen it and a few mods i've talked to have not as well.

For the charger I wasint think about that I was think about mount the turbo at the rear of the car attached to one of my rear mufflers like my exaust guy told me I guess from what ur saying there's a lot more to it than it looks I thank you for ur input I hope there are other people out there that can chime in on sneezed and my ideas

yep theres a lot more thats involved man. You cant just attach it to one of your mufflers and roll. You wont need mufflers after installing the charger, it acts as the muffler. you will need to mount it before to the y-pipe, and then split it out to the bumper exits after the as the downpipe. Or run the downpipe to one of the bumper exits and run an atmospheric dump off the wastegate to the other bumper exit. You will also need to run one pipe next to the oirginale pipe back up to the intake. Def do some more research on the idea of a remote mount setup. STS Turbo has a break down for you at their website check it out.

I now know what u r talking about I might try to eliminate my big third cat and put the turbocharger right there and then do all the plumbing but the tune is going to have to wait because the closest tune shop is like 30 to 40 miles away but that website is we're I might get the products lol if anybody has any pics of a turbo that's hooked up on our cars it would be greatly appreciated

Please take some time and read this forum ....

a remote mount has been done once on the contour. If you really want to know what it is going to take, start reading. Also look up the STS kit for the Corvette ...

Please take some time and read this forum ....

a remote mount has been done once on the contour. If you really want to know what it is going to take, start reading. Also look up the STS kit for the Corvette ...

I broke it down a little more for the guy,but like I said up top, a lot more that just bolting it up and boostin' that you need to know before doing the build.

Brapple, any chance you have any info you can share on the car that's been rear mounted? I'm waiting on the weather to break to get my build rolling, but would like to check out this guys car.

not off hand. Is was an SE and the owner didn't post much about it. Best you could do is search about it.

not off hand. Is was an SE and the owner didn't post much about it. Best you could do is search about it.

Yessir, I found it, took me awhile.. It was sleepertour that did it. his pm's are full so i brouht the thread back from teh dead to see if anyone knew other ways to get ahold of him. Thanks Brapple

Step 1. Don't turbo your Contour.
Step 2. See Step 1

It is so much more than just welding a turbo into the exhaust, how are you going to supply and drain oil to the turbo? Tuning the car? Fuel pump, injectors, maf. What is done to the transmission (diff)?

You have a lot of reading to do if you are remotely serious about it. Your looking at $2-3K to do it on the cheap end..

Back