• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Amp power up problem

CSVT#49

Addicted CEG'er
I have this Clarion Amp 2/1 Channel, Model APA2103, that I lent to my brother to use in his SVT Focus last summer. He gave it back to me just a few months ago telling me that it wasn't working.

I hooked it up to my system and sure enough it would power up and then shut off right away. Has anyone run into this before? No bad connections, no bad fuses, I'm at a loss. I opened up the amp to see if anything was fried inside and everything appears to be normal. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated as I would like to put some small subs in my car. Thanks.

Could it be too much, IIRC the REM is a small amount of power, maybe it's overloading it? Just a guess.:shrug:

Its not the REM wire, remember his brother had the same problem with the REM wire and he had it hooked up normally, the 12v hook up was just for testing. And you can run 12v to the REM without a problem.
To me it sounds like it is going into protect mode. Sounds like something might be loose or crossed internally causing a short.

Yea I thought this too, which is why I took it apart. Everything looks fine. If there was a short there would most likely be a charred spot on the mounting surface or somewhere on the board... which I didn't see. So unless there's an open somewhere. Only way to check that is to look at the resistance in the wires, which would take a long, long time.

Power supply or output transiter (MOSFET) took a poopy and sometimes you cant see them go bad. Not every amp releases that magical smoke when it goes bad, get yourself a new can of amp smoke and you'll be back in the game ;)

Power supply or output transiter (MOSFET) took a poopy and sometimes you cant see them go bad. Not every amp releases that magical smoke when it goes bad, get yourself a new can of amp smoke and you'll be back in the game ;)

If that was the case would it still power up briefly like it does? I would imagine if the power supply took a crap it wouldn't even turn on.

Back