• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Algonquin, IL link to ford...

compudude86

CEG'er
http://www.oldalgonquin.net/HillClimbs/History.html

There is a really steep hill we have in town, called Huntington drive (intersects at Illinois 31). I have taken it many times, as I live in this town. Every year, or at least they used to, they would close down this road and have a hill climb festival. I was never sure of the meaning behind why they did this, but I stumbled across that link that explains it all, including the trophy on display in the Ford Museum. Weird to think about, that I drive my car on this hill all the time, and this hill goes waaay back in the cars ancestral bloodlines...

Back in the day there were a lot of very low HP vehicles that couldn't make it up even moderate hills, as the article stated, it was a way for a manufacturer to show how well their products could perform in 'extreme' conditions. By today's standards, anything below 100hp virtually doesn't exist, but back then you had <20hp in some vehicles. Think about putting a small Briggs motor in your 'tour and seeing how well it moves up a hill...

Now they are getting some traction, pun intended, with the Meadowdale International Raceway Preservation Association to host a yearly car show in memory of the old track just down Rt 31 in West Dundee. The Fox Valley had various auto related history that is pretty neat.

Back