• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

ABS Light, which wheel?

ZomzSVT

CEG'er
My ABS light has been on and off occasionaly, but for the past month I would say, it is on steady. I searched and read about a guy cleaning relay contacts/sprayed with WD40 and it solved his problem, but I tried that with no luck. I'm assuming it is a bad wheel sensor since I also checked all wiring for chafes etc and cleaned the ring grooves well (front axles relatively new) and nothing has changed.

I'm going to hopefully be trading it in the next few weekends for a different toy, and would like to fix the light. Anyway of knowing for sure what corner (or the exact cause for the light, if other than a sensor, for that matter) is causing the problem before I end up throwing parts at it and end up giving it away anyhow?

Thanks

This could be a wiring harness issue since you have an early build date E0. I say this because I had the ABS light come on intermittently and when I took it to be checked out I was told I needed a new ABS controller (HCU) and a new harness to the unit. Ford quoted $2700 back in 2004. I said no thanks. I had the M9903 recall/program for the bad wiring harnesses done in 2006 and the light has never reappeared.

Back