• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

? about idler pulley size

fl98svt

New CEG'er
I have gone to advance auto parts and and purchased the idler pulley. Ford said my bearing is shot. Well this pulley http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductList.aspx?PartType=806&PTSet=A&SearchFor=Idler Pulley

#89015 is larger in comparison to the factory. The box says it's a 70mm 6 grove. Will this cause any problems, or should i go to the dealer?

I haven't taken it off yet,but from looking at it,the stock one is smaller.

Also where do you find a breaker bar to fit in that space? Thanks

98 contour svt

Last edited:
I also had this issue when I replaced mine. I replaced my idler and tensioner pulley. I think the idler was larger also.

I put a new belt and both pulleys and that first week after installing it, some of the belt was chewed up and I found little rubber shavings on that side of the engine bay. After a week it cleared up, and I've been driving on it for almost 2 years now.

Well i managed to get a wrench with a cheater bar on it to fit, but i have problems . I turned the tensioner couneter clock wise, and thought i broke the tension,but what i did was stripped out the hole bigger.Which way are you suppose to turn? I read on here; one peson stated counter, and the other person said clockwise. I went counter, since the metal tabs on top would hit if you turned it clockwise. I guess i'm going to the dealer. I hope I can still get it off,now that i have stripped the hole.

I guess nobody here has changed there serpintene (sp?) belt. Are you suppose to turn counter clock wise or clockwise. Also since i stripped the hole where you put the 3/8 socket in, how does the tensioner come off?

Found it on the old forum, it's toward the front...How do i replace the tensioner unit since i stripped the sh*t out of it

This is an old thread but obviously could be an ongoing problem:

This #40 Torx bolt is a regular RH thread. The damaging of the Torx fitament seems to be a common problem I experienced also, I fretted and worried but the fix was relatively easy. I supported the engine from below with a floor jack. I loosened and removed the upper motor mount and the 4 studs so the "L" shaped bracket could be cleared since the Power steering hard line is nearby. Then I took a sharp chisel and carefully hit the plastic sleeve on the attaching bolt and then placed the chisel off center to the left on the outer diameter of the bolt and hit it in an attempt to loosen and ultimately turn the attaching bolt. It works, you may have to do this several times turning it a little at a time, once it is loose you can turn it with your fingers. This procedure WILL destroy the bolt, but you have few options if it is stripped. When installing the new tensioner be sure it is clocked against the Stop on the front engine cover so you will have enough belt adjustment when installed. When tightening the new bolt be careful and keep the Torx bit straight and square in the bolt and use 2 hands and a 5/16" box end wrench on the Torx Bit not a socket wrench. One hand to keep is straight and the other to apply the leverage and tighten the bolt. Go slow and you'll end up with a project you'll be happy with.

When I removed the tensioner a few months ago, I felt the Torx head stripping out. I ended up using a 3/8 drive Torx bit in a 3/8 drive breaker bar (instead of a ratchet) and I used a flat pry bar between the end of the breaker bar and the frame box beside the engine, this kept the bit from backing out and further munging up the bolt head. Also follow Rick's suggestions above and you'll be fine.

Both the spring tensioner and idler fixing bolts are right-hand thread, so counter-clockwise to loosen.

The V6 fixed idler pulley (the grooved one) uses one of the most common bearing profiles on The Planet, NAC6203 with rubber seals. Go to a bearing supply and ask for a 6203-2RS or similar, it should be under $10. Get the old bearing pressed out and the new bearing pressed in and you're back in business, most times the bearing supply will press in the new bearing for free or a small fee.

Back