• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

A/T erratic

Mystique Stan

New CEG'er
OK, I have a 99 Mystique with 2.5l and A/T. Driving around town at 30 to 45 mph it seems to be NO problem, however, if I go to a higher speed, it acts like it is jumping around as the rpms go from around 2000 to 4000 rpm. I can't tell if it is slipping or downshifting or if the TC is acting up. Has anyone had this issue and what was the solution? I am thinking it is electronic., but not sure Thanks for your help.

Checked for codes and found none. I am at a loss. Vehicle is new to me so I don't know all the history. Sure would like to solve this if anyone can help.

ProjectSHO, I owe you a cold one. After reading the thread you sent me to, I cleaned and greased the MLPS contacts and the problem is solved. Thread moderator, please put this in the ATX area if that is where it belongs, so others can reference. Thanks again for all the help, I appreciate it.

You will note the last sentence of the above post....

Cleaning the contacts was only a temporary fix, I had to replace the sensor a season or two down the road.

Duly noted and I think I will have to do the same. I located the sensor at RockAuto and will order one. It looks like removing the aircleaner box will allow me to get to it. Is there an adjustment procedure? Thanks again for the help.

To adjust, I put the shift lever into reverse (ignition on, engine off) and adjusted the sensor so the backup lamps came on.

I bought the Airtex TR sensor from Rockauto. It was plug and play.

Good job guys!! This is defiantely one thread that needs to be saved in the Transaxle section. Shows what happens when a well described problem, with a well stated solution is brought together with a solid "follow thru" - WIN-WIN!!!

Back