• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

98 svt shuts off

1998contourgl

CEG'er
After about a half hour of driving the car will just shut off. The guy I bought it from said the pcm gets hot and makes the car shut off. Doss that sound right? I also see where part of the ignition coil harness flaked away and idk if that may be causing it??

Check the wiring harness for missing insulation. You will have to check the entire engine bay.

Check fuel pump also, they are prone to having problems if it is the original.

If you're still hearing the fuel pump prime when you try to start the car back up, I would start checking for spark. You can get a spark tester at AutoZone for a few bucks and place it between each plug wire and spark plug, one at a time. But chances are, if you're getting the front 3 plugs not firing, the rear 3 probably aren't firing either.

As Don said above, start checking the rest of your wiring. The 12v+ wiring that runs from the positive terminal on the battery to under the fuse box will likely need to be repaired. I took my wiring there completely apart, wrapped it in high grade electrical tape, put some plastic flexible conduit it over it, and then more electrical tape. That's probably not where your problem is but that is a common section of wiring that can short against several things and cause damage.

I would find the large, main harness connector and do a continuity test between each wire there and what ever sensor or item it goes to. It's going to be a tedious process, but it's about the only good way to start eliminating what wire might be shorting. No check engine codes?

Thank you guys. The guy I bought it from said it will run for about half hour(driving) then it'll shut off and can't restart it until it cools down. It is not overheating related. No check engine codes

Could be a loose engine ground connection ..... the cable will get hot and the connection resistance will go thru the roof.

Check the PCM connector pins and plug for burnt connections .... the guy could have been right about the PCM. Also; there is a little ground lead right in that engine bay corner, might be worth checking too.

Not sure what work that has been done recently by the guy you bought the car from.... but something may not have been tightened properly.

Check main ground wires and things like the alternator. ...

hope some of that helps .....G.

.... even if it isn't .... you MUST repair those wires before you kill the PCM ... G.

Back