• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

98.5 SVT warm start issue

BryanJ

New CEG'er
Hey everyone,
Last fall, I pulled the 98.5 out of storage after sitting for about 15 years. It had just over 104k miles on it. I had to replace the fuel pump (expected), did all new intake gaskets, new plugs, new wires, new hoses, new fluids,..... After doing all that, the car fired right up and ran great.

After a few months, it started to rough start (longer crank time, surging after first firing for ~ 5 seconds....) after the car was driven somewhere and warmed up. After the engine would cool down to ambient air temp, no issues. It appears that it is an ignition or air issue as when it does start, you see blue/black smoke out the tailpipes, as if it is getting "flooded". I did replace the crank and cam sensors thinking that might be the cause, but it did not change anything. If you press down on the accelerator just ever so slightly when this rough start happens, it seems to help get it started faster. It also doesn't do this 100% of the time, but maybe 75% of warm engine starts. With the warm temps lately and a warm garage overnight (80F+ in the garage in the morning), sometimes this happens even after sitting for hours.

The car still runs great after started, no issues with power, missing out, .... Also, no codes.

I'm wondering if anyone else has any issues like this on their Duratec. I'm leaning towards the coil or maybe MAF. The MAF is not the original. I know there is always a chance it is a wiring issue, like a plug that isn't fully seated.

Any advice would be appreciated on trying to track this down.

Bryan

Try changing the coil pack & wires, my Ranger 3.0 V6, would start but ran badly, til it mostly warmed up, then it ran great too . Wrongly
thought it was MAF, and the temperature sensor in the intake hose. You may have the same , just on the hot side.

Try changing the coil pack & wires, my Ranger 3.0 V6, would start but ran badly, til it mostly warmed up, then it ran great too . Wrongly
thought it was MAF, and the temperature sensor in the intake hose. You may have the same , just on the hot side.
Thanks for the advice. I thought I would try the IAC and TPS first before the coil since it seems to be a starting problem only, but it could be coil related. Once you "clear it out", it runs fine. I already replaced both the crank and cam sensors to rule those out.

Just for future reference to anyone that comes across a problem like this, I did replace the coil and it seems to have fixed the issue.

Back