• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

97 Contour GL Gauge Cluster Lights Dim and Need Replacement

Griffon

CEG'er
I have searched through the forum and could not find the info I'm looking for. I am looking to fix the lighting issue on my gauge cluster. At night I can see the light shine through my cluster on the left side near the Temperature and Speedometer and as I look farther to the right it's completely dark. I have to squint to see my fuel gauge. The actual tachometers work fine and so does the radio. All the rest of the lighting in the car is fine. What I'm looking to do is remove the cluster and replace the lights. I keep coming across LED swaps, but I just want to do a regular bulb, or whatever comes stock. Is there a known issue with these gauges and lighting? I'm just wondering because I have a feeling that's why everyone seems to be talking about LED's?

Any guidance/info would be appreciated.

Sounds like you just have a few bulbs out. Replace them and you should be all good!

LED's are more popular simply because of the color selection, brightness and the fact that they last much longer than a conventional lightbulb. Im not sure about what part number the light bulbs are, but im sure they are available at your parts store. Once you take the pink base out that holds the light, use a pair of pliers and gently squeeze the 2 metal tabs at the bottom of the light base. Squeeze and push up. The lightbulb should slip right out. You only need a new bulb, you dont need a new pink base.

Hope that helps.

Back