• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

88 Festiva problem

BloodyTomFlint

Three-balled plunderer of booty
Yarrr I be sailin' the high seas off the coast of
Hi guys,
I am having some issues with the water pump/alt belt on my 88 Festiva. It likes to break. I did notice some squeaking coming from the alternator when I put a new belt on. Could the bearings be worn? It doesn't look like the bracket is bent since the belt is lined up as it should be. Also, the alt pulley spins freely when turned by hand, and the car charges normally when the belt is intact. I don't really know what is causing this and I am getting frusterated. Any help is much appreciated. I posted on fordfestiva.com but almost no one answers over there.

is the belt rubbing on anything?
do you have the belt too tight?
there should be about 1/8" deflection in the belt.
check the pullies for sharp edges or surfaces.
the pulley surfaces should be smooth.

Is there a manual tensioner? If its an automatic tensioner like the Duratec it could be malfunctioning and not keeping constant tension. The varying tension could be enough to weaken the belt.

those things always have issues with belts. i would check the alignment again just because even the slightest bit off causes issues. I have two friends that have had 2 each, and all of them had belt issues at one point or another.

Back