• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

65mm TB - Throttle Cable Slack Fix?

CKtour98

Hard-core CEG'er
I read Harrys how to about the 65mm TB install. At the end, it says to remove any slack in the cable that may be left, to use ties or spacers or some sort under the pedal to take up the extra room so the pedal will be back to normal.

Does any one have any pics of theirs? So I get an idea...heres a photo of mine, cable installed in the bracket so this is how much slack I have:

295899_10150758163630724_655925723_20439364_7829478_n.jpg

I dont have any pics right now...Ill explain what harry told me to do as a temp fix. Zip tie the cable, then cut the slack off the zip tie. I had some small ones and I used about 5 zips. If you want to make a quick trip to Home Depot you can look for a round rubber piece and can be cut to put the cable through. Then zip tie the rubber closed.

hmmmm...id like to see visuals of what people have done, that way i can start looking for a solution like a rubber peice as you mentioned or something of that nature. Id hate to have this as the only thing preventing me from driving my car after all this time. lol

I felt stupid when people tried to explain it to me. Ill see if I can get some pics tomorrow. I dont want to look at my car right meow. 2 wheel studs broke off. Fixed them, in the rain.

Just a heads up, the pedal will feel a little different than what youre used to. It takes some getting used to but so worth it.

I felt stupid when people tried to explain it to me. Ill see if I can get some pics tomorrow. I dont want to look at my car right meow. 2 wheel studs broke off. Fixed them, in the rain.

Just a heads up, the pedal will feel a little different than what youre used to. It takes some getting used to but so worth it.

yeah haha, it seems difficult to understand without a photo. But im sure once I see something, then Ill know exactly how you meant it lol. No problem, my cars not fully ready yet so I dont mind waiting...how will the pedal feel?

Mine was pretty sensitive and the distance between idle and WOT was short. Thats where the zip ties come in. You can tweak it to your liking. Check back to this post in a couple of mins, I might have some pics in my inbox.

EDIT, no pics but Harry found a plastic piece that he suggests to use. Its 3 bucks for a little plastic piece that fits, totally worth it IMO. The message is pretty old so he might not remember what he found.

EDIT EDIT: This will hold out till tomorrow...
zipties2.jpg

I used zip ties on one car I was working on and it worked fine just like shown above. You could grab some washers and slice one side open. Stack on what you need and tape up the slot with some good tape. :)

ah okay, so you just zip them up side by side to take up the slack/space on the cable. Makes sense that way haha, thanks guys. Anyone else feel free to post photos of their fixes, as Im sure more people will come across this issue and theres no thread on it that I could find!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Plastic-Was...ultDomain_0&hash=item35b074f610#ht_756wt_1037

cut them on an angle...so the cord doesn't slip back through. Use a lighter to heat the plastic up and pinch the plastic so the slot closes.

Other wise..i recommend this.

Enter driver side. Reach down to the bottom of the gas pedal. Lift the bottom part of the gas pedal towards the driver seat. looking under the dash at the top of the gas pedal a cable will expose itself. Wrap anywhere from 2-5 zip ties on the cable. These zip ties stacked create a plastic spacer. Add as many as you want. I had my gas pedal raised real high (6 zip ties) cause i loved the throttle control i had with the car. No ties...and you can be WOT in about 1/4 inch of pedal travel. FYI

so is the plastic washer method what you run now? or still the zipties? Im debating leaving the zipties, I have 5 on there now. not sure if i could fit a 6th

so is the plastic washer method what you run now? or still the zipties? Im debating leaving the zipties, I have 5 on there now. not sure if i could fit a 6th

I finished testing the washers on someone else's car and it worked great. So i ordered those 12 and had them in stock and cut open ready to ship with each tb i sold. I eventually sold my car...and i stopped selling these tb's. My car did have the zip ties on it, and i cut them off before i sold it. 3 years with them on...no problems.

The idea of zip ties came from Demonsvt when he decided to switch to the 65mm tb.

I finished testing the washers on someone else's car and it worked great. So i ordered those 12 and had them in stock and cut open ready to ship with each tb i sold. I eventually sold my car...and i stopped selling these tb's. My car did have the zip ties on it, and i cut them off before i sold it. 3 years with them on...no problems.

The idea of zip ties came from Demonsvt when he decided to switch to the 65mm tb.

sounds good enough for me, ill just leave mine then for now. If i dont like it when i start driving it, ill look into the washer method. thanks!

On mine I just cut the end off the near the tb and made a clamp using a metal spacer, this way I just pulled the slack out in the engine back and clamp it down via this. I also made one of these to hold my IMRC rods on my 98 svt and it has worked beautifully for that for 10k miles so far.

126.jpg

i dont have the 65mm TB but i did have the same issue with the extra clack in the cable. i decided to take a blue wire connector & slice it open to fill the space. then used zipties to hold it closed so the cable dont slip out. just another option to try. i do feel a difference in the throttle response. it does work fine just have to get used to it. i do like the idea that 2000ZxT used but will those clamps ft in the throttle bracket on the TB.
IMAG0195.jpg

Back