• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

3l escape timing cover, a/c delete process.

newb

Hard-core CEG'er
This winter I decided to delete my ac.
At the time I did not realise I had a escape timing cover.
When running an escape cover and deleting ac you cant run a tentioner.
remove your tentioner from the cover . Use a bolt that matches the thread(ill edit this to add corect bolt size) about an inch long. Add some black rtv to the threads and landing ,as the threaded hole is open and can leak.
Block your wheels
jack up the passenger side and place on jack stand.
remove wheel.
remove splash sheilds.
you will need to buy a belt 51inches long. This size work for me, it may be different for you.
the belt you choose will seem too short. You have to stretch the belt on. Its esiest to stretch at the crank pully. Once stretched on put your stuff back on and try it out . Any questions please ask.

You need to run a tensioner. The belt will stretch over time and blow off if you don't run one. Swap timing covers to the 98 style if you really don't want the AC. The tensioner bolt does not go into the timing cover so you don't need to plug the hole when removed.

You do not NEED to run a tentioner. Im sure I wont have problems for years to come. And my cover tge tentioner bolt hole was open into it and needed pluggeed.

If you are not using a stretch to fit belt then you should be using a tensioner. What year escape motor are you using? The cover from my 01 doesn't have a hole behind the tensioner.

FYI, you can retain your tensioner and belt longevity by using a shorter belt. I too had the same issue (A/C compressor failure) and used a shorter belt until I replaced the compressor. I believe I still have the belt somewhere and will get you the length once I find it. It's hot though!

Not with an escape cover you cant. I tried every route I could find with no luck.

looks like the 3L idler pulley if you dont have a/c?(its bolts on where the ac compessor goes,i beleieve)
i have a photo of it
8a8df39b.jpg

Back