• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

300mmx278mm brake update

warmonger

Hard-core CEG'er
Hi guys,

Ray has tested the rear bracket out and it was a direct bolt up fit to his car. It needs no modifications.

The front bracket bolts up fine but needs a little more trimmed off the outer edge to fit the caliper bracket and body.
An easy just to make that outer edge a bit more circular. It will be easy to verify that part is fixed when we start production and that means I'm ready to start a group buy.

There should be no problems with the brackets.
I'm going to the group buy thread now, time to put up.

I have been following this thread since the beginning, and I have been a bit confused on what is needed to make this work. I saw in the GB that the brackets are being maed with hardware, but do we then have to buy the FSVT rotors and calipers? I guess that never seemed clear to me. thanks for the help

The entire reason Tom made this kit, is so you can use your SVT calipers. Just imagine your SVT caliper being pushed out 20mm(a-la Warmonger brackets), to fit the new 300mm(FSVT) rotors. You use EVERYTHING from your CSVT braking system, other than the rotors. The ONLY thing you'll need from the FSVT, is the front rotors. To break it down:

Front:
CSVT front calipers
CSVT front pads
FSVT front rotors
Warmonger brackets & hardware

Rear:
CSVT rear calipers
CSVT rear pads
CSVT front rotors

I hope this helps.

Mark

it does indeed, thank you very much for your help. for some reason I thought this required the FSVT calipers as well. Is there any real difference between the two calipers?

Non-svts need some bracket off svts.

And I imagine the FSVT calipers hold a larger pad and probably have a bit bigger piston.

That is correct. The only down side to the FSVT caliper besides the cost :( Is the increased piston size gives you a softer/slower pedal versus the stock SVT's firmer/quicker feeling pedal.

It makes sense because the master cylinder piston size is fixed but if you raise the caliper piston sizes then you have to push more fluid in to fill up the larger pistons, making more foot travel to do it with a bit less effort.
The CSVT calipers retain the exact same pedal travel and feel and with both front and rear brakes larger it makes the bias relatively the same only with a lot more stopping power and fade resistance.

The entire reason Tom made this kit, is so you can use your SVT calipers. Just imagine your SVT caliper being pushed out 20mm(a-la Warmonger brackets), to fit the new 300mm(FSVT) rotors. You use EVERYTHING from your CSVT braking system, other than the rotors. The ONLY thing you'll need from the FSVT, is the front rotors. To break it down:

Front:
CSVT front calipers
CSVT front pads
FSVT front rotors

Rear:
CSVT rear calipers
CSVT rear pads
CSVT front rotors

I hope this helps.

Mark

It will still be covering the same amount of area using a stock pad. Does pushing them up make them cover more area??

I thought we need fsvt front calipers and rotors.

my only concern is what to do with the part of the rotors that is not swept by the pad. I would imagine that part of the rotor getting some surface rust. you could paint that part of the rotor, but my experience with brake caliper and rotor painting is that it does not last very long.

It will still be covering the same amount of area using a stock pad. Does pushing them up make them cover more area??

I thought we need fsvt front calipers and rotors.

Forget about covering more arear of the rotor. It doesn't. If you think it needs to, you need to start thinking about LEVERAGE. The larger rotor provides a longer lever.

On the late SVT, the same caliper and pads are used as the non SVT. The SVT has larger rotors. The larger rotors give the SVT the edge. Adding Tom's brackets and using FSVT rotors just continues the improvement.

Think LEVERAGE, as in "give me a lever long enough, and a place to stand, and I'll move the world".

Forget about covering more arear of the rotor. It doesn't. If you think it needs to, you need to start thinking about LEVERAGE. The larger rotor provides a longer lever.

On the late SVT, the same caliper and pads are used as the non SVT. The SVT has larger rotors. The larger rotors give the SVT the edge. Adding Tom's brackets and using FSVT rotors just continues the improvement.

Think LEVERAGE, as in "give me a lever long enough, and a place to stand, and I'll move the world".

That is a great analogy!!
All i needed to hear. hmm well i guess i might jump on this after all.

I thought i had to do a whole overhall of my brakes but i guess this will do. Simple and sweet

Read my post in the GB thread. I paid already for a full set and dont need/want them. Pm if you want to work something out.

Back